Concept of Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Dec 27, 2012.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi I was reading on another trumpet forum about how all of us as trumpet players should listen to other pro.trumpet players Tine ,Balsom,Armstrong and others to get an idea of what a great horn player should sound like and to imitate them.I have not been listening to much music trumpet music as I rush home from work on the subway,workout then finally practice :-)l would like my playing to be much better than it is now I truly believe that the reason is I don't listen to enough trumpet music .I practice everyday so its not for lack of practice .I just want to play a lot better.Anthony

2. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    As a young kid growing up. I never listened to all the famous trumpet players. I did listen to a lot of the Star Wars sound tracks from the London Symphony Orchestra and I would try to mimic the sound of the trumpets. Without even knowing I would play long loooong notes until I could tell the difference in the sound. Then I would record myself on those old cassette tapes and play them back to hear how I sounded. I would do this over and over to the point my mom would take away my record and tape recorder and tell me to go play outside. then I would just practice my marching music. Our sound is pretty unique from one trumpet player to another. In time your ear will develop and you will be able to hear the differences. Just keep practicing and I'm sure you will get better. Most of the older pro players who held clinics to educate school music programs stressed the importance of practice.

3. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Is your practice challenging? If you're just playing the same practice routine you've already mastered, then you aren't going to improve because what you're already capable of what you're doing.

Do you have a teacher? Private instructors can see things happening that people on the internet can't. There's a ton of techniques that you could either be improving on, or you could be like me and do something wrong for years and not even know it. Plus, you're going to see this echoed on this forum, again and again and again and...

But, sure, I listen to music involving trumpets. I'm a fairly big fan of some of the old Chicago-style big band rock groups like Blood, Sweat & Tears (even though I think they were a Detroit group), more modern fusion groups like US3 (who did a fantastic cover of Canteloupe Island), and a random Miles Davis album. Do I think that makes me a better trumpet player? No. I just enjoy listening to this stuff, even if it's pulling up a Jazz station on Pandora or Songza. That's not about a technique for improvement. That's just about passion.

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Go busk in the subway station...have fun while practicing.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Combine listening to trumpet music with your workouts. Seems like an ideal opportunity.

6. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    Quality listening is important. I can do this during lunch break at work or during dinner after work. I get in some time on the subway and take the music with me and finger the notes with recordings. I also think that you can take small breaks after you have played some time and squeeze some listening minutes in.

Focused listening has helped me out as a comeback player. In addition to listening to a player's sound, I also listen to phrasing, inflections, and any nuances on recordings. Even though I am only playing jazz heads for now (ballad and Bebop), as assigned by my trumpet teacher, I listen to them more intently than ever before. (I am from more of a lead jazz trumpet and classical background).

For example, if the player is approaching a note by a half-step below or adds a third above the original note, then I take notice. I fill in my lead sheets with these notes. If they bend a note, I notice that as well. I fill in more each time I listen.

I use play-alongs and then find a trumpet player who has recorded it. Well, I eventually end up with my own voice on it. Yesterday, I was playing "Stardust" and finally realized that the way I play it is like Wynton after recently listening to him again. However, recently I was told that I sound like Chris Botti probably from analyzing the way that he plays a head.

Hope that you can find some time to listen.

Janell

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    No ,no teacher I am teaching myself teacher was a pro, wasted time teaching me half tone slurs the WHOLE lesson ,anyway no one can really teach you the greats learned by themselves

8. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    *sigh*

Well, there's your problem. Fundamentals are slow, boring, and REALLY FREAKING IMPORTANT. Even if there were players out there who didn't start with these same fundamentals (there are reasons books from the 30's are still very valid today), they'd be the exception, not the rule. Take two pieces of evidence into account here. A) You are unhappy with your current skill level. B) You are unhappy with learning fundamentals. There's a correlation here. There's no button to make you a virtuoso. There's only dozens of years of experience and practice that can make that happen.

9. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    you misunderstood me I am not unhappy doing fundamentals I know they are important I play them everyday ,my teacher was a one trick pony the whole lesson on one thing....but my question was is listening to great trumpet players important .Anthony

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I would say of course it is! Hopefully you can find a new teacher too. I am figuring out that almost everyone here who is any good (even VERY good professional) still has one or more teachers!