Concept of Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Dec 27, 2012.

1. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Your judgement is based on more than a couple of lessons, I hope...

2. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Yes of course about 24 lessons ,Anthony

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well, being the crackpot I am, I give my horns to others, Jon Erik Kellso, Mike Ponella etc, to hear how they sound when I'm in the audience. But that's just me.

4. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    The best thing about my trumpet playing has always been my sound. I attribute this a lot to listening to trumpet recordings throughout my life, even at a young age, and to attending gigs. It sure helps.

Janell

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    There are a great number of teachers out there you just need to find the right one for you. Listening of course is important, but do not deny yourself the greater chance of moving forward by finding a good competent teacher.

6. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    If that's the case, I apologize for a hasty judgement.

Listening to who you want to sound like couldn't hurt, in the long run. I prefer to do that just because I like to hear them play.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For the most part, gold. Gold like in shiny, yeah, gut gold like in heavy, too. Gold as sunlight is golden, from the gentle rays filtering through a forest to August-intense at noon.

I don't consciously copy any player in terms of sound. Style, yeah. Sound is all about getting out the bell what the composer wanted to hear, and a huge factor in that is style. Another factor is pretty esoteric. As trumpet players we can grab our listeners by the nether regions, and yank them around, or gently direct them. We try to avoid the LISTEN TO ME! except when appropriate, but always have a Listen to me.

That's about it. Color, style, and no transients in the sound.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    While I do a lot of listening to other players, I am trying to develop my own sound which I am finding to be to be continually evolving as I strive for the cleanest most resonant sound I can produce.

Regards, Stuart.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am of the theory that if you just keep playing, you will develope your own sound... in about 10,000 hours or so. Do listen to others, transcribe what you like in their improvisations, go over those lines in each key, and combine them, mix them, then expand on them. If you do this, you will increase your own music vocabularly and your own sound will develop.

10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I grew up listening to other trumpet players. You see, when I was young, my older brother was touring with Buddy Rich for 3 years, that’s when Lin Biviano was playing lead in the early 70’s. Dad and I (who played trumpet also) went to see buddy dozens of times when my brother was with him, got to hang with the band, even had the whole band to my mom and dads house for dinner once. So I got to spend time with Lin, got a few lessons. Lin said listen to other trumpet players and try to emulate them, and you will develop into your own sound through them. Then Lin and my brother, and John Deflone left Buddy and went with Maynard for a year or so. Same thing, saw them dozens of times, got to meet and spend time with Maynard along with the entire horn section, (what a blessing) he gave me a few lessons, and said the same thing as Lin, listen to other trumpet players… when the pros speak, I listen, I think listening to them play is a huge factor in what I sound like today. My brother Wayne says the same thing. In fact I still listen, Wayne B. Doc, Arturo, I make it a point to watch them on you tube and closely study the finer points of their playing and it always fires me up to go down in the studio and start moving air through the horn. There’s a little of my history for ya… :-)