concert anxiety

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bugle75, Feb 2, 2007.

1. bugle75

bugle75 New Friend

Jan 4, 2007
    hellooo manny;do you still feel concert anxiety?what can ı do when ı feel this emotion?sevgiler....

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Sevgilim Begum...

The important thing is to have a few minutes alone with yourself before the concert where you can close your eyes and hear every solo you are going to play. When you go on to stage, open the music and hear every solo or part that you have to play in your head. This time is for you, no one else.

People are going to think I am making a joke with this next comment but I'm not. As you count your measures, waiting to enter, smile. Yes, smile. Not a big smile but a small one for yourself even if you don't feel like it, just go ahead and do it. Keep breathing very full breaths while you do this.

Smile, count your rests, and breathe deeply. really fill your lungs.

You'll be more relaxed and focused on the music, I promise.

Memnuniyetle, sevgiler,

ML

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    ...and I thought you guys were just telling jokes back there....:D

4. bugle75

bugle75 New Friend

Jan 4, 2007
    Dear Manny;to smile is very interesting.I think it is about ''When you manage your body, your emotions watch it''.isn't it?I will practice your advices carefully..thank you..en iyi dileklerimle..regards..

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I love that part about smiling, and it does work! We started doing this as a group during a tour in Chile -- scanning the audience, establishing eye contact and smiling at random people in the audience (ok, maybe not so random, because all said and done I did smile at a high percentage of good looking women).

Why it works I don't know, but do have a few speculations:

First of all, concentrating on the audience rather than me, me, me and my playing does take away anxiety, so I can play better.

Secondly, and more importantly, it helps to establish what is known as synergy, a fancy word that describes what happens when the whole experience is beyond the sum of the parts.

If we, as players, can establish rapport, or a relationship with the audience, they will establish rapport with us, and together we can enjoy the music. By enjoying the music together, the music gets better, the relationship improves leading to more of the same, and a great experience.

If we can do this and get paid for it, then:

WOW!

6. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I've never done the smile thing but think I will try it when I play a concert later this month.

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Attitude is everything.

When I'm playing with the rock band its a non-stop party. People are dancing, having fun and the good vibes help me to relax and just play - not get sidetracked overthinking each note.

My attitude is, so what if I crack a note here and there? If you are not having fun playing then why do it? If you watch Manny you will notice that he is a happy and relaxed - no matter what he seems to be playing he is having a good time.

That 'positive energy' does make you play better, no matter what genre you are playing.

my 2c,

GZ

8. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    i keep trying to not make a big deal out of messin up here and there and its still not helping my anxiety just playing my solo part at rehearsel./ i will have to try the smiling thing

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Sam,

If it continues, don't just 'accept that that's the way you are'. There are numerous ways to successfully overcome anxiety; and numerous methods for eliminating anxiety. Don't let it prevent you from living your dreams.

GZ

10. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I tried smiling ion a practice session today. I'm going to try it next week. I felt relaxed. It was an amazing thing.

Sam, like Greg said, there are many, many ways to deal with performance anxiety. Yoga, breathing excercises, meditation are a few. The more you perform, the more ways you have of dealing with it. The key is to deal with it, not battle it. Playing is alot like shooting a basketball. Once the ball is in the air, there's nothing you can do about it.