concert days

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Manny do you, on concert days, take it easy in the dress rehearsals or do you let it go as if you were playing in the concert?

Just curious because we had a 2 hour and 45 minute rehearsal this morning over the pops concert for tonight and then just had a sound check for an hour because the concert is outside. What do you do?

Jeremy

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jeremy,

I don't play any differently during dress rehearsals because the MO is an orchestra that will occasionally play two shows in one day. I don't go easy on myself unless the program is extraordinarily difficult but that's just me.

ML

3. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    So since it's ok on your chops to do so, do you think people are born with that kind fo endurance or can anyone get to that point. I feel pretty good right now but we'll see half way through the concert. Let me know what you think.

And one more, after playing a Mahler Symphony what do your chops feel like? Could you turn around and do it another right off the bat?

Thanks for all of your insight!

Jeremy

4. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    This is just a little off the topic, but I really love on one of the disks (#6 or 7) of Wynton's "Live at Village Vanguard" set he declares "it is 3:00 in the morning," and that his chops are "shot...way way way past gone."

Then he says, "Now we're gonna play the first movement of Citi Movement!" WTF!!!!

He plays beautifully. How do you guys do that? When my chops are gone, they are gone. I can't turn around and play a 50-minute hard-ass jazz piece.

Joe Lewis

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I think people are born with two things: an innate ability to hear and reflect back what they they through an instrument like the trumpet. That ability makes them produce from a "results" orientation instead of a procedure-based one. Therefore the muscles necssary to carry out what they hear just act without regard as to how it's done. This eliminates trying to figure how to play high and long. They just do it because they don't know there's another way. It's not a question of having the right muscle, teeth, tongue... those things are meaningless without an ear to order a product.

I have a fortunate ability to recover pretty quickly after playing a big tune, so, while I wouldn't relish playing Mahler 7th twice back-to-back, I could get by, I suppose. What wouldn't sound as graceful the second time around are the soft things because of the abuse of a situation like that. Who knows? It'd be fun to find out!

ML