Concert Etude Fast or Slow?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Outkastah, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    ok so...

I am trying out for a scholarship with the orchestra I play in and I have to play a solo for them and then they choose who did best and such...
    I decided I want to play Concert Etude :) and I was wondering for a scholarship should I just play it really fast and showey or should I take it at 152 and pretend its like a all county audition?

Thanks
    Justin

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Play it as fast as you can, musically

3. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm assuming you're talking about the goedicke concert etude.

I would play it at what ever tempo you can make the most music out of. It was my allstate piece this year, and for a while i tried to push myself to play it at 152, but after a little while of that, I decided to play at around 140ish, and the audition went really well.

If it helps, I've heard several recordings of it, and I haven't heard anyone play it at 152 or faster.

4. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I'd figure out what tempo works for you musically on the lyrical sections and then apply that to the rest of the piece. Ask any non-trumpet player about Concert Etude and they will focus on the sweeping, melodic/dramatic parts. Only trumpet players obsess about how fast the sixteenth notes are played. Tone, dynamics and drama are the key to an effective performance of the piece.

5. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    At auditions I always try to play what's written, so I'd say 152.

6. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    K, thanks everyone

7. Jcoffey

Jcoffey New Friend

Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree with everyone here. Musicality, cleanliness, and intonation are far more than raw speed. That being said, it's quite the crowd pleaser at those brisker tempos, so have fun with it, but don't take it so fast that your head spins as you try to keep up!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Put your thinking cap an! What are auditions for? To find out the limits of a player? Not in my book. The show off is the player that I do NOT want.

I listen to figure out if the player has any common sense, musical taste, humility, confidence, rhythm and enough chops for the job.

If you have the Concert Etude under control at quarter=185, go for it. You'll smoke most of the professionals that I know. It better be metronome perfect if you do it though. A couple of bars of "WEAK" (any of us that have played this know which ones that I am talking about......) shows that you do not have a good grip on common sense, rhythm, musical taste and that humility is missing. It also means that your confidence is misplaced. Chops alone does not get you a spot in the orchestra.

9. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    I have an ITG recording of it on cornet at 175 which is really motoring. Sounds good though.

10. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    I have a recording of Dokshitzer playing this etude at 184, but he slows to 160 at the melodic parts, and uses an eighth note at the beginning of most of those 16th patterns. It's going so fast though you can barely notice... Its on his Scherzo Virtuoso album.

That said, in my last year of NYSSMA auditions, I played this and didn't care too much about a grade so I flew as fast as I could. Afterward I was told that I should continue into music through college...I told the man I was accepted as a performance major and his face changed, not for the better...Since then I'm now a music therapy major, but the trumpet is still my missing arm so I can't let it go, and it is often fun to push it to 184 like Mr. Dokshitzer, but I do that for fun. That's the point, it's fun that fast. Every great performance can be fun, but not everything that's fun can be a great performance.