Concert Etude - Goedicke... barrier exam

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I'm playing Concert Etude by Goedicke for my barrier exam. I have found a few facts about Goedicke himself, but I have had much trouble so far in finding any sort of contextual information about the piece (e.g. why it was written, who may have first played it). I was wondering if there are any out there that may have some information regarding this. Thank you!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Well, let's see what we know here.

Goedicke was a composer and professor at the Moscow Conservatory who died in 1957 at the age of 80. The Concert Etude was written in 1948, toward the end of his career. If I had to guess, it was written specifically as a conservatory trumpet solo for students at the Moscow Conservatory. I'd like to think it was written specifically for Timofei Dokshizer. He was born in 1921, so he would have been 27 at the time it was composed, but according to the bio on him online, he didn't actually finish at the Moscow Conservatory until 1957, so it's feasible that it was written with his playing and virtuosity in mind. It would appear that Dokshizer had finished studies elsewhere, and he won a major contest in 1947, which might have been what enabled him to study at the Moscow Conservatory.

It would be cool if that was in fact the case.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    There is a dissertation or thesis in the Univ. of North Texas online library on the Russian Trumpet repertoire. You might want to check that out.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc4244/m2/1/high_res_d/dissertation.pdf

It was written for Sergei Yeryomin.

Page 18.

Unfortunately, I can't really find much else online about Sergei Yeryomin, aka Sergei Nikolaevich Yeryomin. EDIT: It would appear that the piece was dedicated to him, but may have been written specifically for him as well - they give a lifetime span for him from 1903-1975, and he was head of the brass faculty at the Moscow Conservatory at the time the Concert Etude was written.

Something interesting that does come out of that dissertation though is that it doesn't jibe with the information I got off of wiki - as a player it would appear that Dokshizer didn't graduate from and teach at the Moscow Conservatory, but rather from The Gnesin Institute, where he was also faculty, although it does make mention of him graduating from a conducting course from the Moscow conservatory, whis is probably where the 1957 date from his wiki reference comes into play.

It's a nice dissertation. I've only perused a bit of it thus far, specifically the things pertaining to Goedick and Dokshizer, but there's a lot of neat stuff there, and I'll have to make a point to read the whole thing.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Sorry that, I have not been able to reply until now, but thanks for the suggestions! It's much appreciated.

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Mark,

how did your barrier exam go?

I hope you are well,
    --bumblebee