Conch Horn Theory

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Jun 7, 2012.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've a conch horn. It is what native small craft watermen use as a fog horn and as a signal horn to one another. I'm told the tonal sound is so different from one conch to another that the watermen can tell who is blowing. Mine is what my grandmother used to call the field workers in for a meal and I'v enow inherited it and can blow three different tones on it but they really don't sound like any on the musical scale I know (must have been tuned to a bagpipe) but they are air piercing loud.

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Yes, they are so neat. I love horns made out of many things. The shells seem the most natural, but I have a Texas Long Horn and a Yemenite horn that are neat as well.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Despite what Texans say, A Texas Longhorn doesn't have the longest horns and they are a cross breed between the Scottish West Highland that has the longest horns and the Mexican Muscallero, the latter so they could endure the heat of Texas and still produce a lot of beef.

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Mine. I play this instrument when I'm angry with my neighbors :

[​IMG]

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Is this a bi-valve?

.... no silly me - single shell.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    No fair using a mouthpiece, Dupac!!!:roll:
    Hey, I should make one too, I made a wooden one didn't I? This time it will play.:D

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I've never seen one with a mouthpiece. Uh oh, I see a new project coming! Thanks for the tip!

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I didn't know that. I've been reading up on cattle since my brother is into ranching now.

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    This is a "lambi", as conchs are called in the FWI. I bought it from an Haitian fisherman. This lambi is not drilled at the usual place, because the fisherman had already made a hole to remove the animal. So I inserted a trumpet mouthpiece : in ONE particular position, it gives some sounds. Then I sealed the mouthpiece in this position.
    It gives three tones (four by inserting the hand as we see Steve Turre doing) : Bb, F, Bb and D (concert pitch, I am not kidding, I checked it with the piano !). OK, I'm not ST, but it can be pleasant to wake the neighbors up with some bugle calls early in the morning ! :evil: