Conch Horn Theory

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My conch horn has the point on thick end filed off smooth to provide a place to form your lip on. Talk about a shallow mpc, but no manufactured mpc is added.

Oh yeah, your neighbor might think an 18 wheeler blowling an air horn was about to crash into their bedroom.

Too, I think such would stampede cattle. Maybe put deer on the run also.

Now to make a trumpet "mute" with one. Anybody like that idea?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Hilarious Ed. My brother wouldn't want me stampeding his cattle. Now if we get it to call up some deer for hunters we might have something! Lol!

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't know what all it would take to make a deer run but they will when I'm close or when I sit on our screened back porch and play any of my brass instruments. Likewise when I rapidly beat a Celtic bodran. Hereabout, they chase deer past the blinds with dogs. Just yesterday took a picture of a young one scampering away from under one of our bird feeders where they'll eat the spillage When deer season is in, I have breakfast at home because the Embassy Cafe is filled with hunters. Goodness, there are hunt clubs along many roads in the area, the newest on the old sawmill site at the end of Atherton Street. Farmers got to do something when the crops are in. I'm not able to hunt anymore. Many houses have marks on the trees where the bucks "shine" their rack.

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Here is a site (In French, but with a lot of pictures that don't need any explanation to be understood) about lambis and how-to-drill-a-built-in-mouthpiece-in-the-usual-way :

Mes Coquillages

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Turtle will surely make this (he is passionate about mutes now), and he will call it "the Turtle Shell" ...

6. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    My conch has a sticker on it that says no turtles were harmed as a consequence of this horns production, though it has a big hole in it where the conch that lived in it was harvested, I have yet to fill it.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I wonder if it's OK to play in the red when playing a Conch shell....

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO you can play one anyway you want to, just not outside my bedroom window at 3:00 AM.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Surely that would be Turtle Shell II?

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Sea turtles will eat conch, too they are meals for more other marine life. Hermit crabs are known to take up residence in an empty shell. The shells aren't pretty when found in their natural surroundings. What you see in the tourist traps along oceanside have been scraped, cleaned and polished.