Conch Horn Theory

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My teacher had a student model. I think it was a Conch Director.

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I wonder if KingTrumpet has a King Conch shell?

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    no, but when I was younger I put together a really neat horn with --- if I remember correctly about 12 or 15 feet of 3/8 inch garden hose, and a funnel on the end, put the mpc in the other end, and had a simulated french horn -- and I didn't even have to remember any valve configurations -- although, I can't remember if it was in the key of F. but it was still cool ---

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I think I read somewhere there was a Queen conch. Wouldn't such be better for KingTrumpet to chase after?

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

apparently SHE (the QUEEN) conch is a protected species -- at least in Florida, oh waith a minute --- the last young lady I liked, left and went to Florida (my theory was for her to scare alligators) but perhaps I was wrong!!!

Queen Conch

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Where I read about the Queen conch was possibly in some literature they gave us when we went on a Caribbean cruise to Grand Cayman and Cozemel, Mexico. To my knowledge I never tasted the meat, but then I've eaten a lot that I didn't know what I was eating, and certainly some things I still don't want to know I ate.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    been there -- and done that -- but it all tasted good!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL well, except the fried chicken feet -- I mean they tasted good, but it almost made me talk to Ralph ----- mind over matter, and it was my mind that mattered that day!!!!!!!!! and I still didnt' impress my young lady friend, by eating all that ??? stuff ---- go figure

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    My conch is a queen conch. I don't think they are protected in the Bahamas, evidently there are piles of them outside the Conch restaurants. I am really glad I decided to make my own instead of buying one of the vendors. They were using the wrong shells and the mouthpieces were really rough.

Giant sea snails. I imagine they would be like escargo or something.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If you left it on the coffee table in front of the TV, would it be a Conch Potato?

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It is over fishing / gathering that now protects the "queen" being that she carries the eggs for more, thus eradication of the specie now prohibits import of the meat as would then it be near impossible to discern the gender when packed. I don't believe the shells are yet restricted imports as I still see them in the "tourist traps" (souvenir shops) on the Outer Banks of NC. Crushed shells of all types are used in a variety of architectural products. I've also seen them imbedded in casite resin as table tops and pen stands.