Conch Horn Theory

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Jun 7, 2012.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    In the Bahamas, the shells are quite plentiful. There are a number of Conch Fritter restaurants. I am not sure they are sustainably harvested. I tested out a number of shells that were already made into a horn in Freeport on the Grand Bahama, but they were very crudely made and rather expensive, so I purchased one for five dollars that had been harvested for food, then plugged the hole where they cut the animal out of it. There were also shells in Nassau on Paradise Island. I seem to remember seeing a native selling a bunch on the dock. The Bahamas are fairly sparsely populated, and there are many small islands/Cays with no inhabitants, so I would like to think the Conch may be OK there. In general the shells are byproducts and people eating them are the problem.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Heh, be kind to Dupac. He's sharing his technique with us. One thing his sharing of this post proves... He is definately not Shell-fish!

3. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
  4. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    I must admit the flare on the conch helps get a better range, because it helps when covering the opening. I put my hand in the end then bend my wrist over to get two or three more notes than just putting the hand in the shell.

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    ........................were moving like an octopuses.

I don't know, would you perhaps want to say; Octopi???? just surfing for a clue here.

6. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    Of course that is in addition to flare being a confirmation that a conch is mature and has had a chance to reproduce therefore sustainably harvested.

7. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    All Blues on a conch. That was nice.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That's better KT - a little better. :-P

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You need to be really careful playing that axe. Once you are unconchous, there is no choming back.