Conch Playing Tips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 28, 2013.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    So, I got a gig... Playing conch, of all things. :dontknow: I was wondering if there were any tips on giving a good performance. The part starts in forte then repeats in pianissimo, followed by a crescendo. I find this challenging on the instrument. I polished up the mouthpiece (600 grit) which helped quite a bit, so it is sounding good. I am just wondering if there are any other tricks that I might have missed. I got the part because I could play conch, however the rest of the piece I play percussion, so I have to set the conch down and pick up the sticks too. I am thinking about using a heavier music stand to set it on, for easier access, as well as the visual curiosity.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Practice long tones. Duh. ;-)

3. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    Whew, I'm glad we figured that one out. I was practicing circular breathing, but it turns out, that wasn't necessary.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Get yourself a high flower table and rest the conch on it possibly with a violently coloured cloth on the table. As I never played conch before, I can't offer more help. Put perhaps kehaulani migh know something?

5. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    A cloth is a good idea, I can also use it to protect the conch during transport.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    SmoothOperator, thank you for your ability to take a joke! It could be that you aren't finding the exact pitch center for the conch. Try lipping up slowly on the tone you get until it breaks into the next harmonic. At some point that note will really sing and resonate. That would be the "real" tone. Memorize the feel. Playing at that pitch should make the soft playing a lot easier.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now you're talking conch potato!

8. lipnutz

lipnutz Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2013
    Don't forget the surf board. It should be a Hawaiian style long board, for authenticity. That should sort out any performance issues. :cool:

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Probably should shell out a few clams on lessons.

gmonady likes this.