Conch Playing Tips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 28, 2013.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't really think you can mussel it around either. Practice will keep you from floundering around though. Sorry I for the highjack, I've lost my conchense.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Somebody conch tobylou8 on the head please. We'll need help in getting him into the coral.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So you gonna hammerhead me?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    First, true conches come from the Conch Islands of the Caribbean, not anywhere in the Pacific or otherwise. Second, they are not a chromatic instrument, although one may have a different tone than another. If at all they could be considered musical would require them to be played by separate individuals in sequential or harmonic form, vis as are hand bells. Native watermen in small craft use them as both a fog horn and as a signaling device, the latter as can be tonal discerned by others as to origin. Very true, their sound has a penetrating projection for miles.

As a practice device for brass instrumentalists IMO they are great to develop a pronounced lip buzz. I've an old one, that to my knowledge only my maternal grandmother and I could sound. She would use it to call my grandfather in from distant fields for meals, it's sound over-coming any sound of the mechanical equipment he was using. Sometimes she had me call him, and he knew it was me and not her, but came anyway. Primarily, now it is just a personal treasure of my heritage that mostly hangs on the wall of my office and evokes the curiosity of few visitors here, more so when I lived elsewhere ever since it came into my possession. Yup, with it I could easily compare my sound on it to the air horns of some trucks and trains, but very few would want to hear me do it.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is probably the bouillabaisse advice that could be offered on this subject.

tobylou8 likes this.
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    G-man, you mako very good point.

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    The conch, for people that don't know, is a sea animal with a large protective outer shell and it's the shell that's played. Just like any trumpet, a conch needs to (or lack of a better term ) cooperate with the player. Getting a conch to cooperate is nearly impossible because they are shellfish. Good luck. Maybe if you offer up some clams, it will cooperate!!Dr.Mark

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Problem is they are wishy-washy. They are spineless and just a bundle of nerves. They can be real slimeballs too!!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You could just yank him / her out of the shell. Some will think bad of this but the results will be un conch in a shell.

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    I think this thread is getting fishy