Conch Playing Tips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Like the Rackett, the conch shell does get quite a low pitch for its size.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm no expert on Conches, but mine has been identified as a "queen" (Strombus giga) from the Caribbean at the Cousteau Institute of Marine Sciences at Dominion University VA. I haven't the desire for collaboration from the University of Massachusetts (Woods Hole) or Univ of CA San Diego CA (Scripps.) What Duke Kahanamoku blew has no meaning for me, other than it a historical fact that many the world over blew shell "trumpets", from where many salt water sea snails are found or were imported, and many of these may be called "conch", but whether they are or not I don't know.

Likewise, because I have one and can blow a sound on a conch shell, I expect to have little meaning to more than 90% of TMers. These shells I believe are now considered contraband and banned from import into many countries.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    From Wiki:
    Strombus is a genus of medium to large sea snails, marine gastropod molluscs in the family Strombidae, which comprises the true conchs and their immediate relatives. The genus Strombus was named by Swedish Naturalist Carl Linnaeus in 1758. There were around 50 living species recognized, which vary in size from fairly small to very large. Six species live in the greater Caribbean region, including the queen conch, Strombus gigas (now usually known as Eustrombus gigas or Lobatus gigas), and the West Indian fighting conch, Strombus pugilis. However, since 2006, many species have been assigned to discrete genera.[3] These new genera are however not yet found in most textbooks and collector's guides.

Worldwide, several of the larger species are economically important as food sources; these include the endangered queen conch which very rarely also produces a pink, gem quality pearl. In the geological past, a much larger number of species of Strombus existed.[4] Of the living species, most are in the Indian and Pacific Oceans.

4. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Get rich quick scheme--plastic conch shells!

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Red, yellow, green or black pChonches. Don't be left behind!

6. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Waaay easier to conceal than a vuvuzela, but just as effective.

7. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    No one has stated the obvious: in order to play the conch, you must convince the animal to get out first......

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well played.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hmmm... I did not know they made mint flavored birth control devises for fish.:dontknow:

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Make sure you play on an empty conch shell. If the conch is still alive inside, that might not only impair the sound, but might prove deadly (some conch varieties hafe a venomous sting!