Confession time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bandman, Dec 25, 2010.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I have not checked in here in some time. My new life as a school administrator keeps me so busy that I'm lucky to play, much less check in here at TM. I miss you guys.

I have to confess something that happened last night. I was playing a Christmas job at a church where I have played for 30 years. I don't do jobs on a regular basis, but the choir director there is one of my former students and I do it for her basically because I love her and I'm so very proud of her for the way she has made many people’s live better through her teaching music.

Last night when it came time for the Gloria I picked up the wrong horn! I played the first measure on my Bb instead of on my C. I've been playing jobs for 35+ years and never done anything near that stupid before. By the 4th measure I was back in and at the end of Mass everyone was commenting on how I sounded better than ever and that I should start playing again on a regular basis. My thought was that I should sell my horns.

I was so upset at my stupidity that I refused pay for the gig, telling them to put it in the choir fund to buy some new music, and maybe when Easter comes they can hire a trumpet player with a brain.

So there's my confession. I hope you all got a good laugh out if it.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Good to see you again Dave!

If that was your biggest mistake, you're WAY ahead of the game!

Don't be a stranger!

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I was playing for a wedding and the organist failed to switch the transposer dial. She got it to it after the first measure.

I picked up the wrong horn for a hymn at another church. I put it down and picked up the correct horn. After that I put red ribbon on my C trumpet.

It happens.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Bandman wrote:
    Don't be too hard on yourself. 90% of the audience don't notice, and Church going Christians are very forgiving. You are too hard on yourself, enjoy your playing, do not sell your horns. It's a mistake you will never make again.

BTW the audience sounds like they want more = keep playing.

Merry Christmas & best for the season.

5. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    If it took you 35 years to make that kind of mistake then I feel really foolish...I usually pick up the wrong horn a few times per month!

Tony

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Chuck, I really miss music not being a bigger part of my life. I thought I was at the time of my life that I was ready to "move on". I actually miss the old days when I was in front of 400+ students a day, but I know that the physical nature of that job is too much for me now. Much of what I do these days is behind a desk.

Unless you have some young teachers coming through the board that could use my experience as a sounding board I don't feel like I have much to add here. My big gig playing days are over and now I've reduced my playing to local church jobs and weddings. I had a nice run, but in my case it is time for me to let the younger guys have the good/fun jobs.

Happy holidays! Good luck to everyone that is playing those 4-5 hour gigs on New Year's Eve! As for me, I'll be at home watching the ball drop!

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Dave,

There are ALWAY kids asking questions here that only a teacher who has been through the system can answer. I believe you have a great wealth of knowledge that can be of immense value on this site.

Please visit us as much as you can.

8. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    My teacher confessed to me, too, once that at a big-deal faculty recital with an organist and other instrumentalists, he brought the wrong horn on stage. No Bb on the trumpet stand on the floor to switch to. He didn't end up telling me how it went, but I'm sure it was ok because he's held his job for longer than I can count!

If you were at ITG Sidney last year, he ran the Charlier slot/discussion/lecture. That's him!

Don't feel bad! Just move on and be great :)

9. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I remember doing my first semester juries at Berklee. There I was, playing for two teachers who I didn't know. About half way through, they produced a notebook and asked me to sight read #12 at tempo such and such.

I was happily blowing through the first several bars when I noticed my "Danger Will Robinson" voice chiming repeatedly in the back of my head. I realized at this point that I had totally ignored the key signature and was playing the thing totally wrong.

I stopped and addressed the jurors "I'll start again and play in the key signature this time" which actually turned a couple of deadpans to grins.

They had to ding me for the mistake, but I played it pretty well once I restarted, and did fine overall on the jury.

But boy, did I feel STUPID! It' s just the kind of thing one has to take as a lesson to be more attentive, then laugh off and move on...

bigtiny

10. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I did this very thing at brass quintet a month ago, grabbed the Bb and played a C chart. Thankfully, it was a Gershwin piece, lots of dominant 7th's, so it was sort of OK on 2nd trpt. The jig was up when I switched horns about 10 bars in. Not cool, but it happens.

ed