Confession time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bandman, Dec 25, 2010.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    There was a whole thread about picking up the wrong horn. It might have been on TH though.

I played at the same church Christmas eve and day. I had no idea what we were playing so I brought a B-flat and a C and a Picc. After the first job I saw I only needed the B-flat and came the next day with one horn in a gig bag. The guy playing second had the same idea. When he pulled out his horn, there was no first valve slide. He had to drive home and get it. and missed 1/2 of the first service. I was out of the church before him after the job but, I don't think he gave back any money.

We're human and that's the kind of stuff that happens. Live performance. Good and bad, that's what makes it better.

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    This is not the first time that I have refused pay for a job, but it is the first time that I did so because I was an idiot. You all are making me feel better in that this has happened to other people.

My attitude is that I "play for pay" and it is my responsibility to give a 100% performance. I'm going to play again this morning - same church - Sunday Mass, and will play again next weekend and the weekend after that. In the end I'll make my money (when I would have been going to Mass anyway) and by giving the money to the choir I made some goodwill with the people at the church. They know I'm serious about being my still best even though I'm getting older! I think that set the bar higher for the young guys in the area who would love to have the jobs I play!

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I envy you having an actual excuse. When I have a problem, it is usually an OE problem.

OE= operator error

Keep playing, and think how funny this story will be for you in 10 years:play:

4. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    +1 and don't forget old fart comeback players seeking out every pearl of wisdom we can come across!

Mark

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Friday night the organist gave me a score to read off of so Sunday after reading it at 2 services I brought the trumpet part but I couldn't decide if I should bring the C or Bb part.

Came time to play and I transposed the 1st measure, he vamped and I started again in the right key.

There are plenty of stories about orchestral players picking up the wrong horn. I think that you should ask for double next year!

6. JimCulp

JimCulp New Friend

Dec 13, 2010

Awww, stuff happens. He's right; most of the audience won't notice. Besides, that's kind of small potatoes. One of my best friends just nailed the Jeremiah Clarke Voluntary in D at a wedding. Then when he turned to sit down, he snagged the stand with his coat sleeve, and the stand fell out of the balcony!:shhh:

Punishing enough for you?:-)

7. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Sounds like a winning entry for America's Funniest Home Videos!

8. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Update:

I used the right horns this morning!!! All is well in the world!

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    got to church this morning, opened my case and realized that I had left my mouth pieces at home. the other trumpet player had bought a Kanstul Besson a couple of years ago and happen to have the m.p. that came with the horn in his case. I ended up playing on his m.p. which turned out pretty good. It was a 7C but deeper then a Bach which took the edge off of my sound [actually sounded pretty good]. Guess that I can join the club now. LOL

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Yep, I've done it in church too once or twice.