Confessions of a 3rd trumpet; a cautionary tale.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    At my first orchestra rehearsal after winning an audition for 3rd trumpet, the 2nd trumpet told me: "It's our job to make the principal trumpet sound good." That is where the humility factor comes into play.

2. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I remember many years ago before I started playing trumpet again.
    A man named Stan Serorkin told me after doing a gig that I was the best 2nd trumpet player he has ever played with.
    You need a good lead but then you also need the other trumpet players to solidify the section!!

3. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    On my way to symphonic band practice. When I was young I was always challenging for 1st chair, but now I am happy no matter what part I'm playing. Currently I am a third trumpet too. I still use my old 1st chair swagger mindset to ensure that I know my part, but now I channel that in the manner suggested by Vulgano Brother. My job is to make the section and the lead trumpet sound good. Different sort of challenge, but still very fun and rewarding.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This too has been my experience of Band Directors worth their salt - they'd much rather a reliable, section driven, trier, who turns up without fail and produces the goods 90% of the time than those who slip up an octave at a whim, sometimes don't turn up and have more than the normal trumpeters attitude. Trust me. establish a reputation for reliability and going beyond just doing the job, and you will be sought after - I have never had to JOIN a band - I have always been invited, and I'm quite proud to show my kids that attribute, and to remind them that 'someone' is always watching. It seems to have rubbed off - both boys get invitations to play.