Confidence when fatigued

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BFlinch83, Mar 4, 2006.

1. BFlinch83

BFlinch83 Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hi Manny,

I have a quick question dealing with a past trumpet teacher. He mentioned once a long time ago that when sitting on stage playing principal of a big orchestra, it's very important to be able to have lots of reserve power. Like the young'n' that I was I didn't ask what he meant by that, but now I'm really wondering.

I think my question is if you're not feeling 100% in the chops and you need to pull off a big blow in the orchestra, where do you get the confidence to finish strong?

I catch myself backing off on air, both inhalation and exhilation. I got some Jacobs breathing toys that help, but you can't bring those on stage with you.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Brent

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The Jacobs toys are meant to teach good habits away from the horn. You learn that you have more available than you think you do and you avail yourself of all the air you can and that's where your "reserve" begins. Whem you use a lot of air you wind up using less pressure. Less pressure puts less strain on the lips. More air, less pressure, more sound, more endurance.

If you feel like your endurance is waning you play lighter and with more vibrato and energy. Don't press.

ML