Confused about doubling tounging even with teacher

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by snf1694, Jul 8, 2011.

1. snf1694

snf1694 New Friend

Sep 15, 2010
    Hi I have a question about double tonguing or triple tonguing. I went to my lesson teacher and the week before we were practicing the syllables for double tonguing and triple tonguing: tik tik ka and tik ka respectively. So I Went home and said the syllables without the horn. Then I put the horn to my lips and I can not do it, I think I don't know what to do with my tongue but at the same time I can say the symbols fine. Jumping ahead to today's lesson, I asked him for help but he told me since I got the syllables, "Its just a mental thing" can anyone help or give insight.

Thanks

Snf1694

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    One thing I have found helpful - reverse the syllables Ku Tu. Then say it quickly kittykittykittykitty.

ALso, rather than concentrate on "starting" the note with a Tu or a Ku, think of massaging the air as it goes past your tongue.

I hope this helps.

3. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Another thing you might try is to start with dig-ger, and tu-dig-ger and then "harden" the sounds to the "t" and "k" once you have the general feeling sorted. It is vitally important to keep a good airflow moving past the tongue - imagine the air blowing the tongue out of the way. Remember that it's the release of the tongue that produces the sound, not the strike of the tongue.
    Cheers,
    AK

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    For starters, I wouldn't do "tik tik ka" - that's too many 'k' syllables. I'd to ti ti ka, or ta ta ka, or du du gu. Actually, I don't use those syllables in that order to triple tounge - I use ta ka ta - ta ka ta - ta ka ta, but it depends on what works for you and what method you are learning. Both can work as long as you learn to be able to interchange the starting syllable when necessary.

As for getting them to work with the horn, this isn't something you'll learn in a day or even a week. You are going to have to put in some time in the practice room, period, and even then, it may take a few years before you really start to get comfortable with it.

Now get off your computer, get in the practice room and get to work. :-)

5. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    I had a similar problem a few years ago when I first learned to double-tongue. To fix it, my teacher said that I was just too used to playing notes with the normal tongue position, so he had me do just breath attacks (no tongue at all) to teach me that it is possible to play a note without having your tongue in the usual spot. My teacher then moved me on to just doing lines of "ku ku ku ku ku...". Then he got me alternating slowly and built up that speed. It worked well for me, hope it helps!

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I think my problems in this area are due to the fact that I was positioning my tongue too close to the aperture and was trying to tongue too hard, hammering the notes. The tongue should penetrate the air column as little as possible, i.e. tonguing should be very light, just enough to get that "pearl of sound" feel. It's hard to do. I practice air attacks and an articulation so light that it sounds legato and try to firm it up from there ever so slightly and gradually. It's a work in progress :-)

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've found that working on legatto double and triple tonguing is good for getting it where it needs to be. If you practice them tonguing hard, then you may not be able to back off of that, but if you work on hitting them softly, you can always attack harder if you need to, and you won't have to worry about the notes not speaking correctly.

8. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Trumoetsplus, what a great idea saying "kitty,kitty,kitty!". I personally like the soft consonants of da da ga da da ga

9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    to really get great at multiple tounging you have to practice single tounging the K (or whatever you want to call it) until it sounds just as smooth as the T tongue.

You can just integrate this in your other normal practice, such as scales or clarke exercises that you are going to be doing anyway.

10. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Yes, the air has to hit your lips. This will help teach you to do that.