Confused about doubling tounging even with teacher

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by snf1694, Jul 8, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    this is really the key as Ivan has pointed out ... it's really easy to forget to keep the air flowing when you are thinking about tongue movement. Sometimes ... holding out the pitch and tongueing very lightly until you get it helps. Don't forget to start slow .. the speed comes with time.
    Good luck.. keep us posted on your progress.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Try this for only one practice session then repeat occasionally.
    1. Only use Ku, Ke, Ka, Ki at the back of the tongue for a whole session. No Ta,Te Tu etc.
    Play tunes and scales with the back Ku sound. Rest when it gets all salivery....then play again..
    2. Rest for a short period, say 10 mins. Then try your hand at the double tonguing again with tu ku etc.
    3. With no trumpet in your hand, the kitty-kitty-kitty etc, and dig-ger, dig-ger etc can all get the concept in the brain.
    Lastly check your speed and endurance with a Metronome, you will be able to see how fast you progress. Try to go as fast as you can, slow back to 80% speed for practice.
    It will come together.

Cheers

3. JakeD

JakeD New Friend

Jun 25, 2011
    While starting by saying the syllables is great, try bringing your lips together and blowing as if you were playing. Practice, practice, practice. The great thing about tonguing is that you can practice it almost anywhere. Good luck!

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    There is more to teaching multiple tonguing than your teacher is addressing. Proper air use is critical. I can show you what to do but it can't be shown with just words.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The correct way is for the teacher to work with you during the lesson, not give you untested homework. I would devote an entire lesson to the beginnings. I would also only ask for a double OR triple - whatever worked better in the lesson!

I think it is pretty dumb to not have this worked out anf then "perfect" it lt home. The chance of developing bad habits is dangerous!