Confused on which method to use!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vessehune, Jun 3, 2004.

1. busnutmedic

busnutmedic New Friend

Jan 1, 2004
    massachusetts
    I think dcstep is right to a certain degree. I believe there is a 'right' and 'wrong' way to play. If you are playing the 'wrong' way, you can practice an awful lot and make little progress. Of course the right material is part of playing the 'right' way. It is different from person to person. The BE method is about finding the 'right' way for you to play. If you are playing on a poor embouchure for 2 hours a day, it would make much more sense to make your embouchure more efficient and only practice for 1 hour a day. Just like it'd make sense to practice for 2 hours efficiently, than 4 hours inefficiently.

Just my $.02.

Bonnie

2. Richard Gordon

Richard Gordon Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2007
    Deer Park NY
    Hi Guys, Rich Gordon here. I was in a severe motorcycle accident going to my teaching job about 2 weeks ago. I broke all of my ribs on my left anterior (back) side and can't play my trumpet untill I heal. Fortunately for me I'm not missing too many gigs and I went out 9before the accident) and bought those CHOP-STICKS embouchure weights. The routines in the book they provide are teriffic and I'm also using the Airlife Spirometer toaid with my breathing. I recently sent away for the BE book by Jeff Smiley. I want to comletely remake my trumpet playing image and my chops. I feel that this is the best time to do it and BE is the best tool. Thanks, Rich Gordon, [email protected].:play::play::play:

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Rich,

I hope you heal well, and fast!

Take care and take it easy!

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Vessehune,
    How you play the horn and what you play are two different things.
    For "how to play" (the mechanics) I would suggest reading "Arch Tongue and Hiss".

Once you read this article, let your practice cover the basic objectives: sound, slurring, tonguing (single, double, triple), phrasing.
    Try to get a rich pure sound, bright but not brassy. 45 -60 minutes is enough for one sitting. The following paragraph was gleened from Wynton Marsalis practice routine & tips
    Lastly, record your practice sessions and listen to them while traveling in your car.

5. Richard Gordon

Sep 14, 2007
    Deer Park NY
    Hi guys: I haven't posted in a while,but viewing this topic and what everyone had to say, I had to join the party. First, as we all know, there is no right or wrong way to approach altissimmo trumpet playing. Also , there are no quick fixes. You must find the method that works for you and work it hard. For me, BE is my ticket. There is no overt embouchure change and I am finding much success with it. That doesn't mean Jerry Callets or John Lynches or Walt johnsons or so many other virtuosi are not on the same page. Its what works best for you. You must do plenty of experimental practice and do not neglect the musical and technical side of your playing also. To all, Best of success in whatever method you choose.

6. Richard Gordon

Sep 14, 2007
    Deer Park NY
    When you practice, you are practicing and perfecting the problem areas of your playing image. For me, besides chops, I also get my fingers going with Clarkes Technical Studies. Usually 2,3 and 4 plus the Etudes. Then because I am mainly a commercial player, I do one key in the old Chord Studies for Trumpet by Ray Kotwica and Joe Viola. I then end with a Vassily Brandt Etude to keep my Orchestral playing fresh and if I have time I will do one of my Dave Burns Jazz Studies,both on trumpet and piano(scatting the changes). I try to keep my sessions interesting and I never look at the clock.Everyone has a routine that is theirs and works for their style of playing. this is essentially what should be imparted to new trumpet students. They should be given plenty of basic meat and potatoes trumpet playing and then when they make up their mind as to which style they want to persue, they should be thoroughly indoctrinated into that style.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you don't know what method to use, then don't use anything new.

I advocate researching until you are SURE, then planning changes when they do not endanger your playing season.

Embouchure changes can take 6 months to a year. Turn your brain on before messing with your face!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The best advice I can give is to find a good teacher and take some lessons. There are far too many methods out there with too many people saying, I've got the answer. Every student is different and has different needs. I might tell one student one thing and another student something completely opposite. What works for one student may be completely wrong for another. Only a good teacher who can see and hear you play can guide you to the way that works for you

9. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Having grown up with Arban always on the stand, I've taken a different tack when making up lesson plans for my granddaughter. Using selections from many of the better-known methods, she's doing a daily routine of easy warm-ups (varying them), multiple lessons from Hickman's "100 Progressive Lessons", some scales (including jazz scale studies), a standard jazz piece and/or one of the pieces brought home for school for summer work with a classical piece substituting for jazz some days, something else in skill-development (articulation, arpeggios, range builders, lip flexibility - one or several), and finally some warm-down exercises. They're put together to be progressively but gently more difficult, and about an hour in total length if I were doing them myself. She doesn't mind switching between Hickman, Clarke, Bolvin, Sandoval, Schlossberg, St. Jacome, Arban, Gordon, etc., in one lesson, and it seems to be working well. The lessons are taking her about two hours, with a good bit of that time spent on reading through each item before playing it.

The main thing is, she's not getting bored this way, she's practicing every day (and longer than she would normally), and she's both increasing her knowledge and improving her playing. Tone's stronger, range has increased a couple of tones, and sight-reading is better. Some Charlier will be added soon.

In other words, if you have multiple methods, use them all. She's on a trip now but will be playing again when she hits the next stop, but when her mother told her she could take only one method book with her, she picked the Hickman.

10. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.

As usual Bob puts his finger on the solution. Today it's not easy for students to have the patience to develop their playing over the long term with a fine teacher, but there are still some that will see the truth!