Conn 10B Victor modification

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sterling, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I bought a 1960 Conn 10B Victor a few months ago. It's my new favorite horn, but.... It doen't have a first valve saddle or trigger. I played a couple of gigs since than and realized that I could use one on this horn. I have a trigger assembly that I took off of my Bach C trumpet. Would I offend any Conn purists if I had my local repair master put that on my Conn?

2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    As a Conn fan, I'ld rather advice to do that, and I'ld love to see some pics afterwards. I'm still looking for a (second hand) trigger assembly for a project horn, instead of a new one of 150 bucks.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A Connstellation trigger assembly would be less offensive :lol:, but if you need one to play the horn better, a Bach will probably work OK. Hope you're not destroying nice, original lacquer in the process, though. On my '60 Conn 6B, I've found it plays better with the 1st valve slide pulled out about 1/8" all the time.

4. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    It's your horn so you can do what you want with it.

Now, if you're concerned about resale value that's a different kettle of fish. If the horn is pristine I would say don't do it at all. Find another 10B and either sell or keep this one. Or, if you absolutely must have a trigger on this one I would try to find one made by CONN in that period. Perhaps Allied, or someone's part bin? If you use a butane torch carefully you will be able to solder it on without burning the Lustre-Conn lacquer. A propane or acetylene torch will scorch the lacquer. The 10B did not come with a trigger, as you know, but they could be special ordered. If you were very careful this could be a believable modification that might even be passed off as factory original.

If the horn is less than pristine then it's doubtful anyone who would care about the brand of the trigger would want the horn as a collector anyway. There are still hundreds and hundreds of these out there! I would say your Bach trigger would be fine (so long as the rod was long enough. Wouldn't a C slide be just a bit shorter than the Bb?).

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    With my old Conn 6B, I adjusted to using only the 3rd slide throw. I would try to get used to it first before you decide one modifying it. You will devalue it if you do. I got so used to the 3rd slide throw ring that is causes me some issues when playing my Old's Recording with a trigger on the 3rd slide. Now adjust to it though, and also my Silver Flair. LOL ust had to throw that one in the mix.

6. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Thanks guys. Dale, I like your idea of leaving the first valve slide out a bit. I also have thought about finding the Constellation trigger assembly also. The horn is not in perfect shape, but has probably 85% original lacquer.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I often tune in the 1st valve slide, especially when dueting with a C instrument. Of course, on my Bb trumpet this is a Bb with the first valve depressed, and I'll be reading and playing Bb music.