Conn 10b

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by buzzer, Apr 7, 2005.

1. buzzer

buzzer New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    Anyone familiar with the 10b - of about the mid 1920's? Specs, etc.
    thanks

2. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
  3. buzzer

buzzer New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    Hi Bill and thanks for the link. I had that one bookmarked some time ago and deleted it for some reason. anyway my question was answered!

Al

4. buzzer

buzzer New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    Have a bit more info on this horn - it is apparently from 1933, and is marked "New Era" and if the serial number is correct (going by owners memory) is in the 289XXX range. Bore is apparently .450 according to the Conn website info. My question is does anyone here play or have played that horn? Interested in how it plays/sounds/etc.
    thanks

5. Cowtowntrumpet

Cowtowntrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Hi! I happen to have a 10B New Era from 1932. I also have a 1941 Conn 22B New York Symphony that I can compare it to. The 10B has a very nice sound that seems to be just a hair on the mellow/dark side and does not have alot of bright overtones, but a pleasant core sound. I tried it at church and the other musicians liked the sound and thought it blended better than my 22B. It is not nearly as bright and full of overtones as my 22B. I love my 22B, but I merely like my 10B. I can actually go a bit higher on the 10B, but it just is not the sound I am going for. The 10B would probably be a great for a combo setting or second book in a big band. For me at least, it doesn't seem to be a lead horn, although I am sure someone out there is probably using it that way and doing very well.
    Also, the valves are farther away from your body than a regular trumpet...so may not be a good choice if you have short arms. For me though, it seemed to keep me from using too much arm pressure, which was nice. Hope this helps.

6. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I've played a 10B and can tell you it's a laser beam! Full sound, way out front. The small bore makes sustained high notes easier but the sound does get thinner as range goes up. I used one to play a solo in church about a year ago and in our sanctuary it just didn't have the ring of my Zeus or Bach so I gave it back and didn't buy it from my friend. Interesting horn though.