Conn 112b...

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Clarkvinmazz, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    About a week ago we had an older gentleman come into the shop I’m at for some new corks on his valves. Turns out it was a 112b... and this man had bought it brand new. It was in fantastic shape, and the valves were like new- obviously he had taken care of it. I took some time to tell him what a rare and desirable horn he had and he was ecstatic; he had no idea. Sometimes this job is quite challenging and discouraging but it’s things like this that make it totally worth it for me. As for the horn, I was surprised at the weight difference. I happened to have my 22b NYS special there with me and I compared them side by side and the 112b really is noticeably heavier. It played incredibly and I told him that when the time comes for him to sell it, put me first on the list!

2. adc

adc Mezzo Forte User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    Neat

3. Efig

Efig Mezzo Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    New York
    I've had the opportunity to acquire these horns several months ago when a few popped up on trumpet herald and eBay, unfortunately I've always found them to be a bit overpriced. They're very rare but to me its a Conn 22B with a heavier bell. I'm sure it plays a bit different than the standard 22B though.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    True Tone and tobylou8 like this.
  4. Chester Hill

Chester Hill Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2018
    Hikes Point, Kentucky
    Over the years I have seen maybe 3 of them on sale on eBay.

The sellers always assumed that rare meant valuable,
    but the instruments always sold for only around $300 after a week-long auction.

Yours is the first review I have ever seen of the weight and playing characteristics.
    That is important information.
    Thank you.

Chester

True Tone and tobylou8 like this.
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So true. One I saw on ebay was listed at $2500!! It sat.

6. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    While I think it'd be cool to try out, nothing plays like Coprion ;)

True Tone, operagost and tobylou8 like this.
  7. Efig

Efig Mezzo Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    New York
    Not sure if anyone has tried this but if you strip the lacquer off a copper bell, it forms a very unique looking patina, a rainbowish looking color palette.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    True Tone and ConnDirectorFan like this.
  8. adc

adc Mezzo Forte User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    I have stripped 4 horns down. I suspect you did ot get 100% of the lacquer off.
    [​IMG]

True Tone likes this.
  9. Efig

Efig Mezzo Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    New York
    I meant copper bell specifically.
    Trying to find some of my examples.

10. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    The 112B dated from circa 1942; for him to have bought it himself, he would have had to have been born about 1920, which would make him about 98 years old.

On the other hand, if his parents bought it for him, when he started band in the 6th Grade [at age 11], then he would have been born around 1931, and he'd be about 87 years old.

Obviously it's possible that some 112Bs could have sat around in the distribution channel and might not have been sold until after the war, but the point is that the surviving "Greatest Generation" fellows are not exactly spring chickens anymore.

True Tone likes this.