Conn 22B New York Symphony

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by bigaggietrumpet, Jan 20, 2005.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, who's played one? Sounds like an interesting instrument. I'm referring preferably to the later model with the pinky ring, but even if you've played the earlier model go ahead and describe it.

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

Yes, he's a really FINE trumpeter, both as a lead . . . but also as a wonderful soloist with so many ideas and styles in his horn that it amazes me. It's always a treat to play with him.

Michael did only a six month tour contract with Larry and he hated the road. He naturally played the second book and I'm sure he wow'ed 'em all in the band.

He hates to travel . . . to everyone's loss.

Michael told me people used to dread it when Larry would come up after a gig and say, "Got a minute?" That meant they were getting ready to go have their butt chewed out . . . usually for boppin' on a Miller chart.

I knew a bone player in that band too who was in the band for a long time. He majored in music at FSU and I used to do some gigs with him down in Florida many years ago. His name temporarily escapes me . . .

Tom

3. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    22B's are a great horn. I have both a Constellation and a (1947) 22B. Both horns are small/medium bores, both have loads of power and sound. The 22B is a bit darker and sweeter than the Constellation. The 22B I have is just a bit easier to play in the higher register than the Constellation.

What's nice is that you can pick up a 22B for much less than a Constellation. Last month, a mint 1940's era 22B went for $480. Mine is in good shape mechanically but with worn finish and it was only $350. Good luck finding a Constellation in good shape for those prices!

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    ok, so would you call this a suitable legit horn?

5. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Oh yeah, great legit horn for bands or orchestras. Not a bad jazz horn either with the right mouthpiece.

6. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Conn 22B, 237667 (1926), silver, good condition..... $450

http://www.geocities.com/oldbrass1/price.html

In case anyones interested. Does that sound like a good price? Probably requires $200 valve work, and 200-plus on plating/cleaning...

Van

7. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    No, not a good price. Keep checking e-bay. Last month a 22B is excellent original condition sold for $485. Mine, which needs to be replated, was only $350.

8. Johnathan Barnett

Johnathan Barnett New Friend

Apr 1, 2004
    Somebody needs to check out Dylan’s horn. I have been trying to save up some cash for it and get the Financial Manager to understand why I need another horn. :-) If he still has it when I get the money it will probably be mine.

9. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    I have an early 22B (silver-plated). Seldom play it, but it does play smooth and sweet. My 38B is preferred ... primarily, because of the open-ness and projection.

Robert Rowe

10. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Did a gig the other night with a player that played a 22b on Evita on Broadway for two years. Loved the horn!