Conn 2b. Did I do good??

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by moosicles, Jul 3, 2011.

1. plp

plp Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    South Alabama
  2. moosicles

moosicles New Friend

Nov 9, 2010
    Longwood, Florida
    A quick question, is it possible to cut of the head of a giardinelli piece so I can use the backbore with my warburton tops on it? I think that would be the best of both worlds for me. Little bit of the new, and the old :cool:

3. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    huh.....................

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:dontknow:

It's HIS thread, idiot.

Btw, nice horn. The lacquer looks great .... aged to perfection. Let us know how it plays.

Turtle

moosicles likes this.
  5. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I made a threaded adjustable cup mouthpiece as my final project for my industrial tech minor in college. It was very difficult, and I did it under the supervision of a master machinist. Could never do it on my own.

6. Silversorcerer

Silversorcerer Forte User

Jun 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    Giardinelli also made threaded backbores, cups and rims. I don't know about compatibility with Warburton. I would guess that there are many mouthpieces out there that would work well. Like almost everything the older the Giardinelli, probably the more attention went into making it. Giardinelli employed a few of the better known custom mouthpiece makers of today at one time. I really can't remember why I tried that mouthpiece. It might have been the price. I got one that is NOS for a very low price.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Moosicles .... I was astoished how well my old Conn plays ....tell you Dad you couldn't touch a pro horn near what you paid for it ...good job!!

8. Ricktrumpet

Ricktrumpet New Friend

Jul 9, 2011
    Hi, I'm the one that bought the trumpet in the second link. Just received it last week, wow what a great trumpet this is, the state in which it's in is great as well. I've also owned a 22B from 1924 but i think this one sounds better, a bit more full. I was in luck even more with this trumpet because the Bach mouthpiece that came with it is a New York 6B from the 30's :D

Did you receive yours yet Moosicles? Let me know how you like it

9. moosicles

moosicles New Friend

Nov 9, 2010
    Longwood, Florida
    Bochawa!!! You were exactly correct. Today, upon cleaning the pool filter, my cousin spotted the mail man fiddling with some things in the back of his car/truck and jokingly says "Hey look! I think he has your trumpet!". He was 100% correct. My new horn had arrived, along with its new case and Conn 4 mouthpiece! I gave it a quick blow, and instantaneously fell in love. The tone was warm, rich, full, and captivating. It was just... Beautiful. The high register was brilliant and easy, and the lows had a big, FAT and easy blow. When I played soft, I could get the horn give me a rich smokey jazz sound. When I played it intimately, I could make sing sweetly and easily. When I played with energy, the horn became strong, thick and filled my house instantly! Of course this is compared to my student/intermediate horn, so naturally, everthing is going to be better. :cool: And I could only imagine it's gonna keep getting better.

A quick note on the mouthpiece. It looks kinda like somebody took some sandpaper to it... Maybe to fix the gap? I dunno, but the horn was in tune with me throughout all registers using the Conn, but not when I used my Warburton. I think I prefer the Conn piece overall anyways, so no worrys there! :thumbsup:

Anyways, have fun on the forums guys. I think I won't be back for a while. I have to explore my new-found love some more :play: