Conn Connestellation

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Tootsall, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
  2. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Hey Ed, when did they stop making the Connies in Texas? Was the bore in the 70's still the .438? I ask because Conn has a 'Constellation' today, but it ain't anything like the old ones and the bore is much bigger!

3. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
  4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    How can anyone play a bore that small? I think I'd hate them.

5. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Well, I wondered if I would like a bore that small, but let me tell you that the horn will take all the air you can pump into it! Even with that small bore it's a pretty free blowing horn---just a small amount of pressure to push against. I don't know how Conn did it, but they did.

And the sound! Imagine a Calicchio 1s2 on steroids! Big, bright and capable of incredible volume. If other Connies are like mine, you can cut through a band any time you want---play over, under, through or solo, the power is there!

One thing that surprises me is that there is such a demand for the Constellations (they tend to sell fast on E-Bay and for 500 to 800 dollars)--so where are the guys who are playing these horns? There's what?--two of us on here who play Connies? I don't know of any pro level players who are playing these horns---so who's buying 'em and why? :?

Bill

6. Whataguy!

Whataguy! Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    Who Plays a Connstellation?

I know for a fact, Bill, that Valery Ponomarev, formerly of the Jazz Messengers and Universal Language (I think) plays a Conn 38B. Also, a lot of salsa band people play them. Great horns.

7. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

Tom Harrell has played his Connstellation for years and years.

He ain't no slouch.

A .438 bore combined with that particular wrap IS the right combination. Kanstul discovered the same thing with their Connstellation clone, the Mariachi.

On a F. Besson wrap (ala Bach, Benge, Yamaha, Schilke) it's a .459 or .460 that's most popular.

It's the total package that works or doesn't. Maynard played Connstellations earlier in his career, then .470 bore Holtons later. Again, its the total package that either works or doesn't.

Don't get wrapped up in specs, just blow 'em and see what ya like!

Sincerely,

Tom

8. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    I've heard some amazing trumpet work on Salsa and Tejano CD's! I know that Kanstul pitches the Mariachi as a Constellation copy and just right for the Mariachis'. I didn't know that a lot of Hispanic musicians were actually playing the old Connies instead of a Kanstul horn!

As long as we're talking about Salsa music, does anybody know of a source for sheet music? Any suggested Salsa or Tejano tunes?

Thanks,
    Bill