Conn Constallation 85b

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Susan Slager, May 13, 2012.

1. Susan Slager

Susan Slager New Friend

May 8, 2012
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site, so please excuss any errors.
    I am looking for information on Conn Constallation trumpet 85B. I have searched the web including the conn website and there is very little information available. I am in Qld Australia, and one of my local music stores has one on consignment for $2000. We were looking to purchase a Bach Strad 37, but are now wondering if the Conn may just as good? Can anybody shed some light on the Conn trumpet?

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Our member Peter McNeil has one of these, send him a PM, he will tell you how he finds it. I think $2000 may be a little high.

Regards, Stuart.

coolerdave likes this.
  3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Way Way too high. The Strad is a better buy IMO. Try as many as you can. Qld - are you talking about a shop in the Red Hill area?

4. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW - I got my Conn Connstellation 85B a few years ago now, but was around $USD 600. They are not the same trumpet as the original Connstellations. They are a clone Bach Strad. IMO a brighter horn than the 37 Bach, good projection, nice sound. You do not see too many 85Bs around, they were only made for a couple of years from what i could find out, and clones of Benge 65B, and King Silver Flair made under UMI (again no relation to the original Silver Flair). I do like the Conn, but would pick a Bach Stad (probably a 43 being a little brighter) every time if I was to go for a primary horn.

The Bach will hold resale better. The AUD$ is parity with UDS$, so a lot of good deals around on Ebay for that money. A lot of good horns in the USD$ 2000 to 2200 area. Allow 10% GST tax on import for anything over 1000 dollars, and about 100 dollars for shipping.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  5. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Here is mine, it has Conn The PRO Connstellation on the bell, running down the side of the bell.
    [​IMG]
    You can just see the writing on the bell here. "The PRO" was used for only a couple of years to attempt to boost sales. It does not resemble the original Connstellation at all. Looks a lot like a Bach Strad, but the bell shape is a little different in the flare.
    [​IMG]

You can see the resemblamce to the Bachs here...
    [​IMG]

If I had to go for a horn with 2 grand, I would find a Zig Kanstul refurbished Olds Recording, both a unique design, pleasant playing horn, and a great investment. Ensure you get any documentation of refurbishment from Ziggy, it will add value in the coming years when you go to upgrade. Great Olds Recordings can be got at that price.

OR a Selmer Concept TT in mint condition - long term a great investment as well = no longer made, and a beautiful playing horn.

Last edited: May 15, 2012