Conn Coprion Cornet director Cleaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Aug 28, 2012.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi I know some of the members here own Conn Coprion trumpets and maybe a cornet ,I just recently got one had it refurbushed dents plating the works .Now soon I have to clean it you know take it apart the soapy water and all.I have cleaned other horns ...and taken the pistons apart but this one is kinda different .So do I leave the piston intact or just make sure the corks on top stay out of the soapy water.I am leary cause it looks like if you take the piston apart since it lines up with the casing slot it may throw off the pistons lining-up with the valves ....any help much appreciated :-)Anthony

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Clean the rest of the trumpet in soapy water if you wish, but just wipe the pistons off with a clean cloth and re-oil. You can clean the passages through the valves and any other nooks and crannies in the valves with a Q-tip moistened with valve oil. The more you handle those corks, the more likely they will break.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It is best if you remove the piston from the valve casing and lay them aside in the same order you remove them. You do not want to get the cork and felts on the piston wet, as they are what aligns them horizontally! The pistons align vertically when replaced via a slot guide. Be very careful that when you screw the cap of the piston section back onto the valve casing that you do not cross thread them. There is no difference in this procedure than in any other trumpet or cornet or for that matter any piston type brass musical instrument.

While you've the pistons out you may want to wipe them down with a microfiber cloth and check them for wear, but since you say you've had "the works" done as I assume by a competent technician, you should not expect wear to be visible at this time.

I personally own a Conn Coprion bell trumpet among other trumpets, cornets and other piston brass and slide instruments (no other with a coprion bell). The Coprion bells are exclusive to Conn instruments, while others may have copper bells. In my opinion such mellows the sound nicely.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Amen, Brother Ed!:oops:

5. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I have owned a few Conn Coprion trumpets and a Conn 12B ( Coprion New York Symphony ( wow...what a horn ) ). You clean them like any trumpet....and yes take the valves out to soak the horn in warm soapy water. I have a Coprion Director body in the closet now that I bought for parts. Did I just say I had a body in the closet ?

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :-o

As long as it doesn't become a lamp, it's ok.

Turtle

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    100% AGREE!!!!!! DON'T MESS WITH THE CORKS!!!!!!!!! You can get replacements, BUT, they then have to be cut to size with an exacto knife!!! I broke one once and had to glue it back (NOT FUN) cause there wasn't anything available at the time.

8. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Been there, done this. Don't wanna do it again.

9. prls1power

prls1power Piano User

Feb 11, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah be careful with those corks, especially if they are the original ones, they crumble so easily when they are old and dried out.

10. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks guys for your help ,so when I clean the horn keep the corks out of water ,Thanks ANTHONY:-)