Conn Coprion Cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jul 22, 2012.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi everyone I just got a Conn. Coprion Cornet and it has a 5th slide? I use the main and 3rd but what is this slide tune?

2. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    I'm guessing you're talking about either an 18A or a 17A Director? (There is some difference in the length of this slide between these two models)This slide, I believe, is a left over from the original 26A Director design which had a thumbscrew micro tuner in that location. This is where the horn was tuned and the main "tuning" slide was not used for tuning, but rather to convert it to the key of A. In the case of the more recent Director I do not believe that slide is long enough to effectively tune the horn. It may have been left in place to facilitate easy cleaning or the removal of moisture that might collect there.

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I don't see a photo, unless it's your avatar, which is blurry. If the slide to which you refer is the one connecting the third valve to the bell, I would think removing it would make cleaning the horn a little easier. I think that it's most likely a dump slide to pull out and empty when moisture accumulates inside; the tubing arrangement is unconventional, and there is that possibility.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  4. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Gotta use photobucket or similar as the uploader doesn't work! :-(
    5th slide? Could it be a 70's YamaConn? Serial # start with "P"?

6. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Try again with picture How do you send a picture I have a smart phone and I am having a problem sending pic
    .phone is smarter then me!

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    No P serial no. 868xxx

8. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    My 58 18A has that slide. Moisture does accumulate there a lot. I use it as a dump slide as often as I use the waterkeys.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Haha ... I know the feeling. Threaten it with the cornet.

Btw, that's a very nice instrument, probably one of the best values around.:thumbsup:

Turtle

10. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks I just had it refurbished dents taken out replated it looks like it came out of factory..... like brand new.Guys out in S.D. did a gret job !