Conn Models with Two-toned Valve Casings

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by loce1959, Mar 21, 2015.

1. loce1959

loce1959 New Friend

Mar 2, 2013
    I teach my students to "color" notes using embouchure adjustments and their ears. We use the third valve adjustment for low D/C# but all else embouchure. I feel the brass (especially intermediate) tends to be a bit bright. We able to use all cornets for to of our three adjudicated pieces at a recent band contest. Our adjudicators loved it.

2. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    The CONN brass?

That's what I love the most about the Elkhart trumpets - the horns don't sound like leaf-blowing vacuum cleaners - they soar and they fly and they SCREAM!!!

The Boss, 38B Connstellation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxvhsr_R15E

El Gato, 38B Connstellation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey7MAgpPuOk

HornTrader, Charley Davis's 2B New World Symphony
    [in French Brass & restored by Kanstul]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckqT2nrjz-M

Jonathan Milam, 24B Opera Grand
    [0.438, but a "sassier" mandrel than the 22B]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlvsOqs1efU

If you want your trumpet to sound like a leaf-blowing vacuum cleaner trapped inside a janitorial closet, then you should worship at the altar of Lilith the Whore of Babylon.

3. tyleman

tyleman Mezzo Forte User

Jul 20, 2009
    Monpazier, France
    I love my 38A Victor Special cornet. I'm having withdrawal symptoms as it's currently being cleaned and slides unstuck. I want it back NOW!

4. loce1959

loce1959 New Friend

Mar 2, 2013
    No, meant current ones. Kids play my vintage trumpets and cornets and love the sounds they get.

5. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    How old are your kids?

Because if they can already hear the difference in the timbre and sonorousness and purity of sound from the vintage horns, then their ears are starting to get rather sophisticated.

6. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    One other thought - CONN switched almost all of their lineup to bottom-sprung valves, from circa 1930 through 1957, and I believe that the 22B [as the "Victor", rather than as the "New York Symphony"] may have persisted as a bottom-sprung horn throughout the 1960s.

Now I know next to nothing about brass instrument repair, but apparently many of these horns need "valve alignments" - which I believe refers mostly to cutting the top corks [relative to the strength of the springs?] so that the valve "holes" match up correctly with the chassis tubing in the vertical [up and down] direction? But what I just said could be completely wrong - I'm just guessing at what could possibly be out-of-alignment, and the corks and the springs seem like the only place where you would have any leeway to fiddle with things.

Anyway, many ostensibly "professional" brass instrument repair technicians are not aware that the old CONN horns even need to have their valves aligned, so if you get a horn which seems stuffy or tight or un-responsive, then you definitely want to check the valve alignment.

I know that Trent Austin [of Austin Custom Brass] is a real stickler for making certain that the valves on his horns are correctly aligned before he ships them.

7. loce1959

loce1959 New Friend

Mar 2, 2013
    We are a small school in North Central Arkansas (Ozarks). HS Band is 8-12 but we regularly perform Grade 3 and 4 literature. This year we did "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis (R.V. Williams) and Three Ayres from Gloucester (Hugh Stuart). I talk constantly about tone. Ex. We don't play in tune we play in tone. Use youtube examples etc. to demonstrate outstanding tone. Kids start to become cognizant of differences in tone about their 10th grade year. I preach it daily with my beginners though.

8. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
  9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think those bottom-sprung Conn valves with the funky top corks were a solution to a problem that didn't exist. I have a '29 Conn 22B with the older (but more modern-like) top sprung valves, and they are very easy to service and align. Why they changed them a few years later is a mystery to me.

10. loce1959

loce1959 New Friend

Mar 2, 2013
    They are really great kids and I am lucky to have a very supportive administration.