Conn New Invention (circus bore) valve guide

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by operagost, Dec 17, 2016.

1. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Another old cornet on my bench...

CAM02598.jpg

You might be able to see that the valve guide for piston #1 is incorrect. Any suggestions for sources, other than waiting until parts (or a parts horn) show up on eBay? Since it's sheet metal, I'm hoping that getting someone to fab one is at least an option.

Only paid $100 for the complete horn (case, HP/LP slides, mouthpiece, mute, lyre, quick change mechanism... EVERYTHING), so I have a little room to pay for repairs.

CAM02598.jpg

True Tone and Brassman64 like this.
  2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    That is the gamble for old horns. Might be the price grab deal but finding parts are hard. There are things you cannot see in photos.
    TWO WAYS ONLY:

1. Salvage the same horn and sacrifice to parts
    2. Get a tech to fabricate it.

3. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Figured I should post a follow up for posterity.

Fortunately, I discovered that the missing valve guide was included... and it was dangling from the quick change slide stop rod. So someone had done an unusual, but good job in saving it. They'd broken the tab off of it, which is pretty easy to do given these were flimsy sheet metal. I gave it to my tech, and he was able to solder a tiny rectangle of metal to the part and that fixed it. It would occasionally feel iffy, probably because the repair was still sharp, but it seems like it wore down a little to fit and the action is about as good as one could expect with a 100 year old cornet.

4. Brassman64

Brassman64 Mezzo Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    Sometime they get put in backwards or flip upside down or get angled when the spring doesn't seat properly and they are fitted to the slots So I could see how they can bend or be broken easily.If I disassemble my valves I take pictures of them and check their orientation before putting them back.It saves me a lot of grief.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A brass or plastic washer, a jewelers file and a bit of time. Voila! Like new. A Dremel tool is awesome for fabricating those impossible to get parts.

mtnbkr, True Tone and Brassman64 like this.
  6. Brassman64

Brassman64 Mezzo Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    Ivan where's the other pictures?