Conn V1

Discussion in 'Horns' started by interfx, Feb 28, 2004.

1. interfx

interfx New Friend

Jan 18, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm looking at the Conn Vintage One line of horns.,,

Anyone have one, or played one yet? My local store does not carry them, and am thinking about getting one from wwandbw.com for a trial...

Any opinions?

Also, what is the bell size for this horn? I thought I read somehwere it was 5.000"??? Anyone know?

2. camel lips

camel lips New Friend

Feb 16, 2004
    The Conn V1 is a great horn and a fantastic buy.

It comes with your choice of two lead pipes.a 34 and a 46 if I remember correctly.

It also comes with a nice dbl case and heavy valve caps that you can add a bunch of weight onto the horn.It darkens the sound quite a bit.

I would suggest getting this horns in the 46 and in gold plate.The two slides that come with it are a great touch.The rounded slide really opens the horn up while the other slide darkens the tone but tends to make the horn more stuffy.

If you tried to assemble a BAch or a Xeno for the same money you would be looking at probably $$3200 bucks in the gold plate.You can get the GP version online for about $1700.

Good luck.Oh yeah,they also make a nice vintage 1 flugl horn.It would be nice to have a twin brother.

3. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    There's also a #50 leadpipe and reverse pipes in all sizes. I think the #34 makes the horn play closer to a Bach 37 or Yamaha 8335 while the #46 opens it up a little. The #50 makes it feel even more open. Lead players with tight mpcs use the #50 a lot. The rounded slide changes the blow with each leadpipe. Anyway, I agree that it's a great value.

Oh, there's rose-brass and yellow-brass bells. I prefer the yellow brass in either silver or gold plate. Lot's of people like the rose-brass, but to me it's not vibrant enough. It's a matter of personal taste, surely.

I think most comeback players will best with the #34 leadpipe, either reverse or standard, with the yellow-brass bell. If you've got a solid upper register and good endurance, then you may want to consider the more open leadpipes. BTW, Bert Truax, a very strong player, plays the #34 pipe.

Dave

4. horndevil

horndevil New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    England
    The V1 Flugel is an excellent choice. The best allround FLugel I have found. If the trumpets are as good, and everything I have read so far confirms that they are, go for it.