Conn Victor B 1978

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by davidcycle, Aug 5, 2013.

1. davidcycle

davidcycle New Friend

Jul 18, 2013
    Much has been said about Conn post 1970's. The factory moved to Abilene and the student (Director?) trumpets to Yamaha so I understand and from what gather, the overall quality varies. Nonetheless, I have the possibility of bidding on a Conn Victor 6B 1977...without the possibility of playing it first. I guess this is from the Abilene factory. My question is...1. any idea of the bore size? And 2. would you advise a bid?
    Grateful for any guidance here...

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The bore size is probably .438 (that's what the older ones were). If it's in good shape, it's probably worth $300 or so. I'd guess it plays pretty well, but I don't have any experience with 1970's Conns.

3. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I played one at a convention before - WHOA! The wide wrap and thick metal had a "chunky" feel, but the horn played very well and had nice valves. Heavy, but could be used in the place of a marching horn, perhaps...and for the heck of it, I'll also point out that the Yamaha Directors [student] were only made in late 1971-72 - by 1974, the 16A/B/H were the student horns.

Good luck! Not all the Abilene horns were great, but the one I tried was impressive, to say the least.

4. davidcycle

davidcycle New Friend

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks for your responses. I tried the Conn Victor 6B 1978 and found it was no better than the vintage Wohlrab 8N I usually play. I might add I am an intermediate player looking for another instrument. Here is my main issue. I also have my late Dad's old Martin Handcraft from the late 30's that is patched and well worn and has no compression (beyond repair they say). Yet, it suits me in certain registers and in short, works well within the limits of its age and condition and better than the Wohlrab. I also tried a friend's vintage Conn Vocabell from the 30's and it was a beauty...a real pleasure to blow. So...I guess I should look for an older trumpet like the Conn or Martin? Or is there something more modern that has the qualities of these old timers that I am missing? I would be grateful for any guidance here...thanks!