Conn Vintage 1 C

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Paul Randall, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Paul Randall

Paul Randall New Friend

Jun 2, 2005
    I just tried one of these horns and really liked it alot. However I had one rather overwhelming problem with the horn that I wondered if anyone else experienced. These horns have a recessed upper valve cap that the valve button gets pushed down into when depressed. When all the way down, the top of the button is flush with the top of the cap. I have seen some Monettes with this design as well. My problem is that like many guys I have rather poor finger technique and tend to drape my fingers across the valves. The result is that I keep hitting my fingers on the top of the cap before the valve goes all the way down. I don't understand why anyone would think this is a good design. It pretty much kept me from buying this horn. Anybody else?

Paul R

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    The 3rd book player in our band has one too. Nice horn, it plays well.
    But I have the same problem, plus I cannot get my thumb in and out of the first valve ring. I think a saddle or a trigger may have been a better choice.

-cw-

3. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    The V1 Flg is built the same way, nice sound but the fingers are not so comfortable!

4. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I love the look and feel of those buttons...they fit like a glove to me and is one of the most comfortable horns to hold…as you said you have “poor†finger technique so I’m sure they are not going to design for people who finger in a damaging way to the valves.