Conn Vintage One Trumprts

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bach 1 1/4C Man, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Bach 1 1/4C Man

Bach 1 1/4C Man Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2004
    What are the heavy valve caps and rouned D shaped tuning slide good for that come wit this horn please give a lot of detail what the D tuning slide is for Classical or Jazz etc..

2. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The "rounded" or "C" tuning slide is supposed to open up blow for the player, compared to the "D" or "Square" tune slide. You may find you prefer the resistance from a D tune slide over the C. Then again, you may also like the openess of the C and want the resistance from your mouthpiece. Its all a matter of personal preference. Conn's idea of including the options for personal customization is an awesome one, in my opinion.

The heavy caps are supposed to darken the sound, and improve slotting, or the ability to hit notes more confidently. However, they also can slightly cut range, or make the higher notes more brittle. Of course, that problem can fix itself fairly quickly, depending on time put in "ye ole woodshed."

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, every plus has its minus. You just have to find which pros AND cons with the horn work with your playing style!

Van

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Van,

Well said!

Buy a horn, a mouthpiece, heavy caps, leadpipes, whatever ... there is always a trade off. What will you trade to get X. Of course, good trumpet makers and mouthpiece makers are looking to minimize such problems and make the tradeoffs less of a problem.

New designs, alloys, cup shapes, etc. aid in relieving the tradeoff syndrome.

Is is no wonder trumpet players own several horns and several mouthpieces? It depends on what you are going to use them for. Personally I take tone and slotting and give up some bending and coloring aspects along with some range. Range with good tone is much better anyway -- and that takes proper practice time.

Lots of horns come with two crooks, or the two crook option. The Conn V1, the ZeuS G, the Kanstul 1500A are three I can think of right off the top of my head. It gives you, the player, some options.

Jim

4. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Yeah, it sure is great to be able to own two to three hand-built, top-model horns (Non-Monette), and still be paying less than one mass-produced woodwind, isn't it?

BTW, I also prefer a gorgeous tone over everything else. Why do ANYTHING if it can't look or sound good? :D

By the way, Bach 11/4C man, try the rounded slide with no heavy caps for jazz. Do the Square slide with heavy caps for Classical. See how that works for you, and then switch them up! You never know what you may end up loving! (BTW, sorry for not directly answering your question earlier.)

Also, try different mouthpieces. I absolutely LOVE deep-cup mouthpieces, and can still sizzle some high Ds and Ebs(And flarf a high E :D )! Certain mouthpieces may work better for you, so look around. I use a 11/4C for jazz, and my 5B for everything else.

Van

5. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I just gained a LOT more respect for you. I can get to about a high E above the staff with my 3C, but above that I start to lose it. Wow.

6. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Well GWARSH..... :oops:

I had a terrible time playing the trumpet for a very long time. I finally discovered that I just play better with deep mouthpieces. With my Jettone Merian C and Olds 3C Megatone I can plink out those high Fs, and sometimes jab at a G, but the sound is like a cat being strangled (How can anyone play a shallow mouthpiece!??!).

I just get "my sound" with BFMs, or "Big <BLANK> Mouthpieces." :D

Have you ever really experimented with different mouthpieces, Michael?

Van