Conn Vintage One

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bach 1 1/4C Man, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Bach 1 1/4C Man

Bach 1 1/4C Man Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2004
    Tell me all the infor you know on this horn if it is a good horn. Can it be used in a Concert Band . I already known that it is a good jazz I want to known about the Laquered one. and if I should pay $ 1100.00 for it it is only 2 years old.

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I think these are very nice. I know professional classical players that use them, so don't worry about it not being a 'pro' horn!

They come with a variety of bell options, so find out what this one has. I believe the options are: yellow brass, rose brass & sterling silver, but there may be more.

Play it, and compare it with other things - you may or may not like it.

3. VINTAGEBRASS

VINTAGEBRASS Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2004
    Branson
    Two years ago I was looking to update my Strad. I have a 43 bell lightweight horn, so I was looking for a darker tone. I really wanted to try the Bach vindabona or at least a large bore with a 72 or 65 rose brass bell. For months the music store worked on it, but Bach could not supply anything to try and a Vintage One with a rose brass bell came along and I bought that instead and have not regretted it at all.

With the weights on and a 24E5E Sckilke mouthpiece it is just about as dark as a flugel. Take the weights off and switch to a Schilke 20A4 and it projects and makes a great lead horn.

4. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    That price of $1,100 seems a bit steep for a two year old horn. Check out the WoodWind BrassWind site for the latest pricing on the V1.

www.wwbw.com

Bill

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I must have played a lemon horn, but I noticed that what passed as a forte dynamic on every other horn I have played on, came out as a mediocre mezzo-piano. Just be sure you test it out.

6. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    V1s do NOT have a problem with dynamics. I've played half a dozen or so and all had great dynamics.

Dave

7. Hornie

Hornie New Friend

Mar 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Fantastic Horn!

After trying out and playing many horns, I found this horn to be the most responsive, open, free-blowing, powerful and versatile horn for me. I bought one in Rose Brass, the standard 46 leadpipe, in gold plating.

The horn is not a heavy horn, but with the MVW valve bottom-cap system, you can really change the resonance and weight-balance of the horn. Plus, having both a rounded and D-shaped tuning slide brings even more options (I like the rounded one thus far).

The horn is very powerful, sizzles easily, resonants like crazy, and has a very beautiful sound. The craftsmanship is excellent, the finish spectacular, and the valves are unbelievable (only rivaled by Getzen valves and not by much) ... and the short-throw of them makes the speed all the more enjoyable and easy.

What I believe makes this horn quite the catch is that it's very versatile and the price is great for a pro horn.

The double case it comes with is gorgeous, albeit big, and seems to secure and protect the horn quite well.

I remember having my heart set on a Kanstul after playing many horns, and then I picked up the Vintage One and I couldn't figure out what to do; I was so sure I wanted the Kanstul, which is a very fine instrument, but this Conn blew me away...!

Well, I finally got One, and I do not regret it, and I recommend it highly. But please do try the different bell and leadpipe options, because one must find the configuration to fit their own needs and wants.

All in all, the Vintage One is one singing horn.

8. FlowerGirl

FlowerGirl New Friend

Aug 10, 2004
    re:

I'll buy your King Silver Flair if you decide to buy a new horn! ;)

9. the chief

the chief Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2004
    Thanks once again for your description of the V1 hornie. I gotta get my ass up to Milwaukee and try some out.

I'm curious, did you try out any Schilkes in comparison? I know you tried the Kanstul, and as you may know, I also recently tried out a bunch of Kanstuls.

10. Hornie

Hornie New Friend

Mar 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I did not try out any Schilkes, unfortunately. I did, although, try: a couple of Callichios (I wrote down the models but don't remember them now), two Olds Recordings, a couple of Stads, a NY Bach (which was great), the Kanstul 1600, 1500, 1500B (as well as the 1500A), a Getzen Eterna (which I really didn't like), a used Benge, and a few others (I can't remember now) at Dillons (I think I tried an old Blackburn too, which was fantastic). Again, a bunch of them were great, but I felt that the V1, for me (note I said for me) was the best over all, horn at this stage of my development, although others' may have had different specific strengths that I might have liked more. You know what? I think I did try a used Schilke, but I don't remember the model; but that's an afterthought.

But I think you have the right idea: try as many horns as possible. Then narrow them down. And then play those side-by-side. Then pick. Just know this: You might like more than one! But you'll have to choose. And that's okay. Any of the above horns mentioned, in my post and all the others here and at TH, are worthy.

PS The V1 is not the best horn in the world. I don't believe there is such a thing. It's the best for me right now, I believe, and will accompany me on a long journey. Find that horn for you... Best of luck!!!