Conn Vintage One

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rupren, Dec 4, 2005.

1. rupren

rupren New Friend

Mar 10, 2005
    Anyone care to share an opinion on the VI Model 1B-34? Specifically the #34 leadpipe versus the standard one? The 1B's sound versus the other models such as the silver plated versions? Not a pro-player but looking to get the "last" horn that can cover all styles. Have test played the VI, Zeno and Strad. All have their differences to my ear and have distinct feels although I'm not an experienced enough player to fully hear/apppreciate/understand all the differences between these horns. I'm sure I'd be satisfied/couldn't go wrong with either. Thanks!

2. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    I own a Vintage One, but I don't play it anymore. The horn is definatelely different from a strad. The V1 i own is a sliver bell/lacquer body with a 34 leadpipe.

I love its brilliant sound, it works well in a jazz band. But the intonation is pretty bad on some notes. In general, it is much different than a Strad.

Nupren, so much of finding the right horn is personal. I have had people play my Mount Vernon and give it back immediately, and I have had people rave about how great it is. You know more than you think you do - if you like it, you like it!