Conn water key spring

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Aug 21, 2015.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi I need to soon since it's quite rusted change my spring on my water key, the one on the main tuning slide. I think I know how to saw some toturials on you tube on how to, plus I am an ex- machinist. OK now the problem is I am having trouble locating the spring it is for a ca.1926 Conn 22B anyone know where I might find one. Thank you Anthony

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    In Germany I see the techs very often "roll their own". They have various weight of spring steel and just make custom springs of the desired weight. I have had enough instruments play poorly due to excessive spring tension.

3. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi Rowuk ,so you advise me to take it to a tech.? Is that what you mean rolled their own?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A tech is a good solution, but that is not what I said. I said that german techs don't necessarily need to purchase spit key springs. They have spring steel and simply make the parts as required. I would do the same on something like this. You can experiment with springs from inkpens, toys, safety pins. I bought various diameter spring steel wire and have experimented with it. It is not hard or potentially dangerous. It is one of the few DIY things that I advocate.

5. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
  6. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    There were two types used on 20's CONN's; inside the water key, and outside the water key. Any good music store that sells brass instruments should stock both. Or, try the suggestions above.

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thank you everyone for your help much appreciated Anthony

8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I contacted Chris he told me there are two kinds of springs, so he said send me picture of the water key spring. I did still waiting for him to reply. That was this afternoon. Hopefully he has one
    Thank you Anthony

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Bandroom is a zombie site that receives no attention. Any orders disappear into a black hole.

Tom

10. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    That may be because they have regrouped and changed their name and URL. Check this out . . .

Super C Music Products - Brasswind Replacement Repair Parts

I have a post going in "Trumpet Discussion" trying to find out if anyone has dealt with them since the change, but with 218 views and a bump there has been no replies.