connstellation 28 B question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tlent, Feb 19, 2012.

1. tlent

tlent New Friend

Feb 19, 2012
    I used to play the trumpet years ago. After having kids, etc. well, lets just say I haven't picked the instrument up in years. Recently, my parents returned to me a trumpet that I had acquired many years ago and never played because the bell was smashed up a bit. I had put it up with plans on getting it repaired, but never did. Anyway, upon opening the case I found the trumpet to be almost completely black with what looked like tarnish. After cleaning it up a bit, I was surprised to discover that engraved on the bell was: CG Conn LTD Connstellation Elkhart USA. Also on the lead pipe is the word Connstellation and 28 B. I have done a bit of internet searching and with the serial # 414466 (no letters) that this is indeed a real connstellation made I think in the 1950's. What I would like to know, is during my search I have only seen pictures of the Connstellation 28 B's that are silver with the brass slides etc. Was the Connstellation 28 B made in completely silver? All of the slides, EVERYTHING on this instrument are silver. The other odd thing is, The slides, start of the leadpipe and inside of the bell are a very shiny silver, while the rest of the instrument is not. Any information about this particular instrument would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Can you post a few pics? That would help. Sounds like you have a nice horn.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    my 1950 28B has a brass lacquered bell.... 2 pc valve block: brass & solid nickel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. tlent

tlent New Friend

Feb 19, 2012
    Looks just like mine, except mine has absolutely no brass anywhere and yours is much prettier. Every pic I have seen has the brass. I tried to upload photos of mine, but it says the file is too large every time I try. The only parts that look lacquered on mine are the slides, start of lead pipe and interior of the bell. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong with uploading pics? I would love to post a few!