Consequences of Time Off

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Whoo boy! No surprise, but my trumpet playing has deteriorated as a consequence of two weeks nearly completely absent of practicing. Our son and his family came to visit on July 27. Their visit included a vacation week at a camping concession in northern Michigan. Practicing was impractical and would have been selfish too. That written, consequences of the time off are obvious; sound, range, technique and endurance all suffered. I'm using my Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet and an old comfortable Getzen 5C mouthpiece as I regain what was lost - my Jet-Tone Severinsen model mouthpiece did not work well for me at all when I tried it earlier today. Resting as much as I play and resisting the urge to force things is my goal and challenge for the next couple weeks. Patience, must have patience...

Jim

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In the future, take a mouthpiece and a towel along when it is "impractical" to play. I find this a real chop save method that upon return, you hit the ground running the first day back.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In the meanwhile, Jim... I'll make a run up to Ft. Wayne and take all your horns off you hands, and give them a real workout while you are in your recovery phase. I'll let you keep one for your rehab period, 'cause that's the kind of humanitarian that I am.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    gmonady - that sort of humanitarian we all look up to (as long as he is standing on a chair of sufficient height)!ROFL

In all seriousness, Gary, I remember and appreciate the good service you provide in your community.

Jim

5. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    For me, when I am into a forced layoff and then return, the issue is re-coordinating all of the individual activities that comprise good trumpet technique. I work with a metronome and that saves about a day or two of centering exercises. I'm not convinced we lose muscle tone or breadth support; I am convinced muscle memory changes and/or fades and needs daily reinforcement.

My expectations are a source of issues too: I expect that I will not play as well. Things get better when I relax and realize it will all come back if I just play.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    After a long layoff (just spent 10 days without touching a horn - 40th wedding anniversary in Key West), I find that about the only thing that suffers is endurance. That can be mostly corrected after a couple days practice, though. Sometimes a break can be nice...

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Never... my mistress is not that kind to me... I have to play daily to keep up with my performance schedule or I will faultrer. It is an addiction if you let it get to the level that I have let it get to me. I am not complaining however, as when I do take off, just playing the mouthpiece into a hotel towel keeps my endurance at top performance level, so I do not need to keep the horn with me to mainline my addiction.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yep, last Fall when we went on vacation for a week, I had a pretty demanding wedding to play 5 days after returning. I took a horn and practice mute with me to stay in shape. This year, however, the only strenuous gig I had coming up anytime soon was in September, so I took the break. I miss playing if I take too long off, but a week to 10 days every year or two doesn't bother me a bit.

9. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Congratulations to you and your Mrs. concerning your 40th, Dale, and Key West is a great place to celebrate such a milestone!:thumbsup: My Mrs and I celebrated 40 at the end of May.

I am pretty much experiencing what you described with the trumpet. Tonight, the range is back. I'll just continue taking it easy. My break was exhausting (chasing after three grandchildren 5 and under), but nice too.

Jim

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Today is our 46th Wedding Anniversary, and at 7:00 AM tomorrow my wife has to be at Nash General Hospital just outside Rocky Mount NC to have cataract surgery in her right eye. She also needs it done in the left eye, but that will be another time. The best we could do is supper out tonight. Party time now isn't as good as it once was.