Consequences of Time Off

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Congrats on 40, Jim. And congrats on 46, Ed. Hang in there. Speaking of party time, I'm still tired from our trip, and we've been back for over a week...

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Very, very dangerous to lay off the trumpet for too long .... you could end up playing the saxophone. :shock::-?

Turtle

tobylou8 likes this.
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ed... Congrats on 46 years... I once remembered playing a wedding of the granddaughter of person hiring us... and they asked the grandmother to come to the mic and tell the newly weds how they have made it through all there years of marriage. And the grandmother said, they were the 5 happiest years of her life. Someone from the crowed then called out, "But you have been married for 46 years", at which she replied, "Of which 5 of them were happy".

Hope yours is a different story, Ed!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Turtle!!! Congratulations you Utimate Turtle You!!! Have the sent you the smoking jacket yet? AND that case of Makers Mark, with the boxes of Cuban Cigars wrapped upon the thighs of virgins? Oh, the Utimate Club is a good one my friend.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Thanks, Gary!

I'd just like to say how proud I am to be the first of my species to achieve this. I may be slow, but I sure know how to run off at the mouth. You gotta love a place that rewards you for that!

Looking forward to the smoking jacket.

Turtle

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Good to see you back, turtlejimmy!
    Jim

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Similar thing here. Went fishing/tubing/kayaking for 4 days. Had my horn but never got it out the van. Last Thursday's rehearsal was rough! Back to normal know, but won't do that again!!!

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Thanks, Comeback!

Looks like I'll get my first chance to teach trumpet .... at least enough to get someone started. My sax teacher, who plays all the saxes, several clarinets, flute and piano, asked me about trumpet playing. He wants to try out playing the trumpet, and learn enough about the instrument so that his compositions for ensembles and horn sections will be more informed. I offered to loan him a horn and give him the basics to get started. How cool is that?

The first thing I told him was that, if he starts playing trumpet, he's going to need to make it a DAILY practice ..... days off are not recommended. We all know why! Cheers.

Turtle

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes... the role of the Utimate TMer is to teach others to play the trumpet well. Crafty idea my dearest Turtle to start infiltrating the sax playing world... eventually to convert ALL sax players to trumpet playing... where we can sell off all are inferior trumpets to them... and eventually, we, the TRUE trumpet players WILL RULE THE WORLD.

Mwah... ha... ha... ha... ha... ha... hah!

PS: Charge the dude heavily for lessons to make up for the debt he has incurred upon you, thus preventing you to purchase the Martin Committee... Weapon of Mass Destruction!

Mwah... ha... ha... ha... ha... ha... hah!

Shhhhhh.... Don't let the sax players know about the Martin Committee!:noway:

kingtrumpet likes this.
  10. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Turtle, keep me posted on your development. I've been thinking about learning the sax also. A buddy of mine gets his outta the case for our church Christmas program then puts it back till the next one.......and sounds pretty doggone good. Makes me jealous. Not that I don't want to practice, but it gets frustrating when you miss a few days and feel like you're starting over.