Considering on a Piccolo

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Mar 5, 2016.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well, I have been thinking for a while but do you think if I played normal (Bb) trumpet for 8years now do you think I could possibly get on a fiddle around on the Piccolo? I really want to play The trumpet shall sound, Bit of Brandenburg Concerto 2, 3rd movement and Abblasen!
    I might trade a few horns I don't play to get one.

2. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    You could. I will say that I bought a piccolo about a year ago and the only thing I've played it on so far is bolero, just once.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    The piccolo is a very different beast from a normal Bb trumpet. You should gain some experience on higher trumpets - say, an Eb - and then work your way upwards. By the way, all those Baroque pieces you mentioned are far easier on a high G trumpet...

4. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Did anyone actually work their way up like barliman said? I can't really afford two kinds of speciality trumpets...

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have had my Selmer G for 20 years and never had a call to use it except for my own amusement, used my picc once in 15 years in public, not much call for other key trumpets in Big Band.

Regards, Stuart.

6. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Of course Big-band repertoires are for Bb horns ain't it?

7. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Then don't buy any specialty trumpets.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The transition to a picc from conventional Bb trumpet / cornet was a chore but something I especially wanted to accomplish and I believe I have, and now enjoy doing so when appropriate. Too, I'm now in the high register without the effort or feeling ostentatious about it. It may sound different to hear Strauss's Tales From the Vienna Woods entirely on Brass without strings or reeds but that's how I play it.

9. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London

[​IMG]

10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I owned a picc before a C or Eb/D, although I had done some playing on C before. I had no problems learning, but I was already an extremely strong player, and I studied with a competent teacher and practiced a LOT. If your intonation is already very good on Bb that will help. I always practice picc with a tuner, because intonation can be a little wild and it helps to see where you are on the spectrum. Getting a good sound can seem like it takes forever at first, so do a lot of listening to get a good concept of sound. Regular practice is key - if you only play once in a while, you'll sound like it, no matter how much time you've been putting in on other horns.

coolerdave likes this.