Contemporary Trumpet Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Aug 22, 2013.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    While I fully understand that trumpet isn't a popular instrument in regards to contemporary music in pop culture, there is also a part of me that feels that those who partake in learning the instrument shouldn't neglect popular music just because of its popularity as every decades music speaks to the general varied moods, etc. of the people. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-k8QwB7AeM

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    SOOO, no vidio. I am interested in what your getting at. Are you saying that trumpet playng and brass music in general are not relevant in todays pop music? Are you saying that the declining intrest in instrumental music in the school system is a sign that music has stagnated to the point of electric guitars and drum sets? Are you saying that trumpet music should make an effort to blend in to the pop music scene by getting more "popular"? What are you saying?

Im in the mood for a pholosophic discussion. Lord knows, the older I get, the more I love to ponder the great mysteries of the world. Best wishes.

3. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    When you think of how every music genre has its moment in the collective conscience of the masses, it's questionable how the next generation is going to learn music in the era of video games that simulate a tactile experience ("Guitar Hero," "DJ Hero", etc.) but don't, can't and won't compare to the real thing. I'm a realist who understands not everyone wants to learn how to play an instrument as it's a matter of making time in one's life to learn how, but the thing is music is a gift from God (or any other deity one professes to have faith in) that should be treated as such and it can also foster community. The thing about popularity is that, because so much is calculated to become popular via market research ("hits" today are judged by the number of "likes," "Tweets" and other social media "views" if you think about and know how social media finds out what people prefer based on their profile information) that there's no likelihood that playing an instrument wouldn't be influenced by the norm of social media. As for the trumpet blending into the pop scene it's not a bad idea at all as it can remind people that no instrument is so archaic that it can't be played in a modern context.