Continued Thoughts on the Schilke B6

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Jun 12, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Every day I own this trumpet I have a growing appreciation for it. I have played on Bachs since I acquired my first one right before my 16th birthday - roughly 18 years - but from this point forward, while I will always appreciate a good Bach, I think that I'm going to be a Schilke Loyalist.

This trumpet just pops when you blow it - from the very first note of the day to the last - and playing and practicing has become enjoyable again for the first time in a long time. The response and focus of this trumpet are both incredible - it's nearly effortless and the way that I believe it should be. I can't EVER remember playing a Bach that responded or focused like this B6 does. Maybe it's the copper bell, maybe it's the medium, step bore. At this point I don't care. I just love the even and instant response and focus that I have from the bottom of the horn to the top of my range.

Sound. Here is another area that continually amazes me. Put in a smaller mouthpiece and give it the gas, and the sound just lights on fire. Put in a larger mouthpiece and lay back a bit, and the sound is rich and dark. But, whether you are playing rock band licks or the second movement of the Haydn, the sound just sparkles. As I have settled into this trumpet, I keep getting compliments from the guys and gals in the band about how much they like the sound, which means a lot considering that I have been in this band for the better part of 4 years.

Intonation. Here is another area where I believe this trumpet really shines. In the years that I played my last Bach, I always was making some sort of adjustment in either my chops or slides to play certain things in tune. While I won't try to tell you that every note is locked in all the time on the Schilke, I will say that I use very little manipulation of chops to push or pull the pitch in, simply because I don't have to. About the only time I have to use a slide is on low Ds and C#s, although occasionally I will hit a first ledger A a little hard and have to pull it down just a tad - however, this was virtually an "every time" kind of thing with my Bach.

I have been following the posts about the Stage 1 California and what they are describing about that trumpet in the posts, and I have to say that their desciptions seem to be very close to how I feel about my Schilke B6, although I do have to admit that I didn't instantly fall in love with my B6 like they seem to with the Stage 1. I had to get used to it and for the first couple of weeks, I actually contemplated selling it. I am SO glad that I gave the horn the benefit of the doubt for a few more weeks because at this point, I'm not going to look back. This trumpet has turned out to be everything I have wanted and more.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You're hooked!

...and it just FEELS good in your hands.

-cw-

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You know it! :D It feels as light and lively as it plays. I know that the Schilke B6 might not be for everyone, but it sure is for me.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Another recovered Bachaholic!

Congrats to you!

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You know, this last Bach of mine is a good Bach, but I never felt about it the way that I feel about this B6. Many thanks to BStarry who posts over on TH for trading it in for a B1 so that I could get it. :D

6. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Hi Patrick,

I know what you mean - the schilkes are great and if it's for you they are easy to fall for! I have a B1 and love it. I also played the Eclipse trumpets last summer and unfortunately fell in love with the Large Red as well. mmmmmm!

I also agree that whilst you can play an instrument and click with it initially it also takes a while to fully adapt to the way it plays for all sorts of reasons including the different intonation and the ease of blowing.

I am glad the B6 has worked out for you.

All the best,

Graham

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm still pretty curious about the Eclipse trumpets, although after doing some reading, I like the fact that I know that Reynold Schilke extensively prototyped the horns before putting them into production - the B6 is configured the way that it is very specifically and it has been largely unchanged for what, 40 years? This isn't to say that the Eclipse isn't just as innovative, but man, at present, I think that my current axe would be hard to beat. A better trumpet would danged near have to play all by itself. :D

8. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    With regard to low D and Db, what MP are you using with that Schilke B6?
    I find that with bigger cup MPs I'm able to lip those notes down a bit without using slides.

Just a jazz player,
    Tom

9. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    You change the sound since you're no longer in phase with your trumpet. Use the slides for D and Dflat, sound is better and you are then resonating in phase with your horn. AND in tune....

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Whatever :huh: