"Contrasting" solos

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Jimi Michiel, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hi all,
    So I just found out about a local scholarship competition run by the Schubert Club in St. Paul. The application says I must play 2 contrasting solo movements:
    I'm thinking about doing the first movements of the Haydn and the Hindemith, but even though they are stylistically completely different, are they different enough to be contrasting?
    -Jimi

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    How about Tomasi instead of Hindemith? Or Leopold Mozart instead of Haydn?

ML

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    "Differing both in tempo and technique"

Unfortunately Jimi, even though the two you are favoring are indeed contrasting for many reasons, they both highlight similar playing. I really think for contrast they want something lyrical and something technical. If you can pick any two works, then pick through some of your favorites. Cornet solos are always good for dazzling folks with virtuosity. If cornet is not your thing, then Manny's advice for a piccolo work would be another alternative toward having you "stand out" from the herd. If not the L.Mozart, perhaps the Tartini - technical and on piccolo. Then you can play, say, the lyrical second movement of the Haydn on your new Eflat. (I know you're dying to play that thing! LOL)

Good luck with it all. I trust this is a good sign that you healed from your surgery? :-)

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Advice from the best.... Thanks!!!

Manny,
    The main reason I decided to this competition is because I want play the Hindemith in public, but I really like your idea of switching the Haydn for a picc piece

Alex,
    You're right... I was trying to convince myself that they were contrasting so that I could play my new e-flat... oh well :-( I like your suggestion of Tartini though. I've never played it, but I'm listening to my recording of Maurice Andre playing it and it sounds like a lot of fun.

So how does this sound, instead of Hindemith 1 and Haydn 1, the new program will be Tartini 3 and Hindemith 1?

Thanks so much,
    Jimi

PS. Alex, yes, the healing went fine and I feel great!!!

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Bingo!

ML