Contrasting the Shews with Xenos

Discussion in 'Horns' started by kehaulani, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:31 PM.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Can anybody contrast the Yamaha Shew trumpets with the new Xenos?
    Also, is there a noticeable difference in weight? Thank you.

2. theo van kampen

theo van kampen Piano User

May 30, 2004
    Amsterdam Holland
    That is an odd question: Although apples and pears are both fruit they are totally different

The Xeno line share the same bell shape and that bell shape is 37-ish: A medium bell with a slow taper so you can expect a nice brassy sound (more or less like Bach 180-37) the only difference is bore size and bell material
    The Shew trumpets share another bell shape: they carry a 72-ish bell: a large bell with a fast taper so you can expect a deeper / warmer sound more like the Martin Committee

It is very much what kind of sound you like to make, if you prefer to have a nice warm sound you will be very happy with the Shew horns, if you prefer a bright brassy sound -like I do- you will play with less effort on the Xeno trumpets

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    J. Jericho likes this.
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Starting with the Xeno line, Yamaha redefined the trumpet sound. It does not have the core of a Bach or the glass clear Schilke sound. They discovered a very special brilliance that is not too bright. The Xenos resonate like crazy.
    The older 6xxx Shews are entry level pro horns, super easy to play but without the special color of the Xenos. They share a niche with the Getzen Eterna Severinsen.

In my opinion, the older Shews are perfect instruments for comeback players that in all honesty will never grow out of a local town band section. They are simply less work to play, fun and relatively cheap. Although there is nothing wrong with a player like that with a Monette, Xeno, Bach Artist, etc., the band will not sound better. Those horns in that setting are played because some “can” and therefore do. The drivel about sound in someones head really does not apply - otherwise those players would be performing elsewhere - for money.

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The Xenos are heavier than the Shew, with a different blow. It’s hard to put into words how they differ, but the Shew definitely plays better if you let it work for you, while the Xeno you can muscle a bit without affecting your performance. The newest generation of Xenos feels a bit more like a Bach, which to me is kind of a disappointment. I’ve never been a big Bach fan, so having a few more choices in newer horns that were not Bach or Bach clones made me happy. Like I said, though, it’s hard to put into words, so try them for yourself. I would do a comparison video, but we’re all out of Shews at the moment.

Pinstriper likes this.
  5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Walking around barefoot...

Dennis78 and J. Jericho like this.
  6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Ha! That would be dangerous at work!!
    We are out of Shews, but have several of the Yamaha Mariachi model, which kind of feel like a cross between Xeno and Shew. I actually prefer them to the Shew!

7. theo van kampen

theo van kampen Piano User

May 30, 2004
    Amsterdam Holland

Huh? Which model do you mean? Did I mis something?

8. KjetilS

KjetilS Pianissimo User

May 23, 2016
    theo van kampen and J. Jericho like this.