Controlling adrenaline in a recital...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mattonstad, Jan 15, 2013.

1. mattonstad

mattonstad New Friend

Mar 6, 2012
    Oshkosh, WI
    Hey all,
    My second college recital is coming up in a month, and I have learned from my last recital that adrenaline gets to me in a negative way, making me tired faster. Is there anything that any of you can think of that can prevent, or ease some of my adrenaline before going on stage? Much appreciated!!

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Captain Morgan

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    . Not more than 2 ounces, an hour before performance.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    if you find out what works let me know, I'm 63 and still get a case of the nerves when I solo or play with a really good player. I put way to much stress on myself. when I was younger and playing more [big bands] I could solo and it wouldn't faze me one bit but now that I haven't done much soloing for a few years I really get the nerves. my chops can go from fresh to gone in a matter of minutes, so you are not alone. Good Luck. -- oh by the way my advice would be to practice your recital in front of friends to get used to playing in front of people.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My guess is that the adrenaline starts days before the performance. DHEA is a Cortisol antagonist that can help with the stress before the performance. In performance, adrenaline can be good, if channeled away from fear and towards excitement and energy. Potassium can help, bananas are good sources of Potassium, and provide a nifty combination of carbohydrates and sugars.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A passionate time with a significant other... and if you don't take this option... drugs... propranolol... IT BLOCKS epinepharine (adrenaline) ... a passionate time... IT BLOCKS all thoughts or reality... I choose passion every time.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Passion is best, as long as we are convinced that our passion is not rejected. Many times we think ourselves rebuked (or worse, rebuke ourselves) when the purpose of Art is not to speak to all, but rather to individuals.

Getting weird and philosophical (not uncommon at the same time in Vulgani) if we reach someone's, anyone's heart we have done our job. Just one is all it takes. It isn't about technique, pyrotechnics or the like, but a single moment--when we run down a hill and float off in the music like a hang glider, or dance, or cry out in pain. If we are all about making music all the rest is secondary. Jazz musicians figured this out years ago.

While playing in a Regional Orchestra we had Bill Conti as a Pops conductor. I asked him if it was a let-down for him not having first-call L.A. studio players in the orchestra. His response was that he loved live performances with orchestras, because we took chances, whereas the studio players were, and had to be "clinical."

"Hulking up" before a performance is a good thing. Just don't let your pants split and shirt rip off.

8. mattonstad

mattonstad New Friend

Mar 6, 2012
    Oshkosh, WI
    Thank you all! This is all great advice! Much appreciated!

9. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    I would stay away from medication if you can, experience I think is the best way to overcome this.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Absolutely... and after that 10,000 time... it's a piece of cake. Until you get to that number somewhere along the way... be prepared to sucking on a few sourballs.