Controlling the Higher Register Playing and Lip Trilling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Feb 16, 2012.

1. trumpethempel

trumpethempel New Friend

Jun 2, 2011
    I jump in here with à question !
    In Colin there is exercises up to high f# !
    I dont get fsharp i get high F !! ???
    Whats Wrong ?

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Are you talking about pp72, #18-G where it slurs (open) D-E-F#-E then down to low C??

You are just really flat on that partial. It's hard to lip it high enough to get open f# without the note becoming G.
    Play that lick 8vb to get the sound of that interval in your ear, then do it slowly 8va.

I kinda thing of these exercises to be about developing control and strength by using tongue level and airflow rather than smash & bash pressure.
    I hope in a real playing situation that you would not consider playing an F# using the open valve combination, so I would (for now) ignore the flatness and concentrate on the control of changing partials and the breath control. The descent to the low C is the most important part! That is where focus and control collapses. It is easy to let the bottom fall out of your chops and be sloppy and flubby on the way down. You have to be just as focused and work on hitting the pitch centers directly.

These days when I do these I will linger on the tippy top part (E to F#) and do a slow eighth-triplet-sixteenth note lip trill (St. Jacome style) before beginning the descending part in 8th notes.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Yep, alternates work well for me. When I go up above double f (f above e above c above the staff) I start using some interesting ones that work for me. I play a double a with the second valve down, and a double b with the third down...It just works for me- and seems to tune the note better for me as well.

Guys next to me in a line often give me weird looks, like, "do you know your playing an "a" with your second valve down?"

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    interesting ---- I have only found the A with the regular fingerings --- and the alternative is the 3rd valve only