Convertable horns? Interchangeble slides . . .

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Apr 19, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    At the moment, my piston Bb is a Monette Prana3 and my C is a Bach 229H, so EVERYTHING is different.

If we take 2 "standard" Bachs (a model 37 and a 229H) and compare them:
    the C has a more fluid "creamier" sound. The Bb is more brazen, with a different type of edge when pushed. The C sound is perhaps "clearer". In any case, what happens to the overtones when playing a crescendo is much different. The Bb gets a much different type of edge - starting at lower volume levels. The strings start to complain sooner with the Bb as the edge means more overtones and that masks what they hear.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have a B flat Monette 993 and my C is a Prana1. They are very similar. I might not be a good enough player to feel all the subtle differences. Given what I have to work with, Two really good trumpets and OK playing, I think I could cut down the B flat to C and it would work.

You have a huge difference with a Monette and a Bach. I could cut down my MF Prana but it would sound different than the Prana 1 because it's so much lighter. Still, I think it would work in C.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    we need to play duets sometime, then you will see what I mean.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    My 50th birthday is coming up. Maybe I'll ask the wife for a ticket to Germany. What do I do if she makes it one way?

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'll add this...for a time, my C trumpet was the best horn I owned. I needed a better Bb, so I reasoned "Why not just buy a set of C/Bb conversion slides for the C?" I did (Bach Strad), and while the converted trumpet had an "interesting " sound, it didn't play very well. The mouthpipe and bracing was all wrong with the longer slides. I ended up buying a good Bb and selling the slide set.

[​IMG]

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

An old teacher of mine did (does?) have a horn that he can switch between Bb and C,
    but it was a tunable bell horn, with a removable leadpipe. You had to readjust the horn and couldn't easily switch back and forth, but that horn could definitely play in either key

7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Schilke C trumpets with Bb slides play very well.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    As you shorten or lengthen a valved brass instrument to change from one fundamental concert pitch to an adjacent one, the amount of tubing which needs to be added by using a valve needs to be shortened or lengthened accordingly. As you ascend in pitch the relative change per half-step is the same, but the actual change in slide length becomes smaller, and slides can be pulled out a bit to work in the lower key.

The difference between C and Bb in one horn, a whole step (duh), calls for a considerably larger change in slide length than the half-step between D and Eb on one horn, in which every length is already shorter because of the higher fundamental. The higher you go, the easier it is to build a horn which can be played in adjacent keys. Conversely, going lower ends up requiring the implementation of elaborate concepts like double horns, and compensating systems - to get the valves to yield good intonation for an instrument built for just one key.

veery

9. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Here is my opinion:
    If it seems to good to be true
    It probably is...

I wouldn't buy an convertable horn, not matter who manufactured it.
    That may just be me.