Converted C trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 30yearslater, Aug 22, 2010.

1. 30yearslater

30yearslater New Friend

Aug 22, 2010
    I am looking at buying a C trumpet online, I'd like to know if $600 or so is a good price for this horn...or if indeed it IS a good horn?

"Listed is an Olds Ambassador C trumpet in excellent condition. This horn started as a Bb Olds Ambassador and converted to a C. I used as many original parts as possible during the conversion. Slides, leadpipe and bell were cut to size. This trumpet went through an overhaul and now has a bright silver plate finish. No dents and no dings. Serial number places the original manufacture date around 1976, but the conversion was done this past month of October."

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I played an excellent Jupiter C recently. I don't think that it cost much more than the Olds.
    Wilmer

3. 30yearslater

30yearslater New Friend

Aug 22, 2010
    I wondered about that. I had an Ambassador 30 years ago, and it was good. I just am not sure about buying a conversion compared to a new one like a Jupiter.

I have also seen a Roy Benson RBTR-402C, but I am not familiar with them and can only find scant info...Chinese, perhaps?

4. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    I'd be inclined to go for a purpose built C trumpet. The instrument you're looking at has too many areas of uncertainty if you can't play before you buy.
    1. It's nearly 35 years old.
    2. How good was the conversion?
    3. How good was the refurbishment?

5. tptmusicaz

tptmusicaz Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2006
    Arizona
    I recently did a Bb to C conversion myself over the summer...at first it was playing pretty well, but after a few more adjustments, it's not playing that great any longer. I'm still messing around with it to see if I can get it to improve, but I'd really stick to an actual C trumpet...I did play a Jupiter last year and it was a good horn...right about the same price as what you mentioned above.